79 xs250

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you say 'rotor' what are you meaning?
Brake disk? Something else?

I guess he's referring to the magneto stator / rotor?

image.png

if it is, then the internal thread, highlighted in red takes a magneto puller,

the shaft is tapered with a woodruff key to hold the rotor in place.

one of these...image.png

you put a spanner on the flats to screw it in to the rotor and a socket on the end and screw it in, which then pulls it off the taper. the indent in the shaft end takes the pointed end of the device.

• Thanks 1

Aaah, see now, that makes much more sense! lol

In a different post the original poster has stated he can't use this method of puller as the rotor does not have an internal thread.

So I did a bit of googling, and came up with this, now i know its not for the XS250 but i wonder if the principle is likely to be the same as this tool is for a Rotor without the internal thread....just a thought.image.png

Not quite sure how it works though as this screws onto the shaft but its not threaded on the outside either , unlike my DT one first suggested.

looks like we might be getting somewhere....this puller on ebay, specifies for a XS250, although maybe that's several tools in the kit?

image.png

image.png

Hope that's of some help mate.

and here's an XS250 Rotor on ebay, ? which suggests a deep internal thread? image.png

I'm not giving up!!....been on Google... looked at the XS400 forum which states it's for the XS250 and XS400 bikes...

various searches there suggest the puller is just a bolt

The rotor puller Yamaha part number is 90890-01080.
It's an M16x1.5 bolt.

member Drewpy (is he the same?) says don't use a '3 jaw" puller as you'll f*** up the rotor.

another member describes the procedure...

Remove the retention bolt that you still have in the photo from the center of the rotor, screw the bigger bolt into the rotor while holding the rotor stationary (manual recommends a special wrench), and rotate the rotor puller/bolt into the rotor. It'll pop off.

Cmsnl sell one..https://www.cmsnl.com/products/pullerrotor_9089001080/

hope thats of some help?

So basically it seems you take out this retaining bolt and replace it with a longer bolt which pops off the Rotor.

image.png

Okay, here's how it works, how a single bolt can remove the rotor. Its different to the DT magneto which has a full length tapered shaft. The XS 250 has a part threaded section within the rotor body.

image.png

N.B. the normal short bolt with its washer, holds it all in place. image.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...