wobbly gear lever (xv535)

seana

Posted (edited)

Hi All. I can't find any reference to this issue but my xv has got a very wobbly gear lever..  not at the gear shaft but the pivot. It looks like some kind of bushing or a flat rubber o ring is missing but I cannot find any part number or even a diagram that might assist me...

https://postimg.cc/jLx08YjX

Edited by seana
trying to add a photo link

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

here's a parts diagram of the gear lever in question if that helps....

https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamaha-motorcycle/535-MOTO/1991/VIRAGO/XV535-VIRAGO/GEAR-SHIFT-SHAFT--LEVER/69_6861-6861/B18/0/14251

Your close up photo, is a bit too close up and could do with a wider shot to get a reference point. Obviously its your bike so you're familiar with it, but not us

1 hour ago, NE0 said:

Your close up photo, is a bit too close up and could do with a wider shot to get a reference point. Obviously its your bike so you're familiar with it, but not us

Yes, it doesn't help that you've managed to get your handbag strap in the way either! 😛

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2024 at 10:51 PM, Snakebite68 said:

Yes, it doesn't help that you've managed to get your handbag strap in the way either! 😛

Hahahaaaaa. A hannnnndbaaaaag?

A phone strap actually. Lol.

Here it is "in place"...

I measured the inner circumference and the hole appears slightly oval and is probably worn...

I'm attempting to make a shim that will sit inside to take up the excess play... or... I'll live with a wobbly lever.

https://postimg.cc/Hc2grG5x

image.png

Ahh can see now, you're referring to this bit? yes?. 

..and you have already worked out the cause and remedy.

It's very common for parts like this to have a bronze sleave lining/bush inside and it's that part that has probably worn away causing the boss to move about on the pivot. You can fabricate a new sleeve providing you can find a similar material, I know this because taking bikes apart you come across various bodges that previous owners have tried to varying degrees of success.

So the part you would need is the arm itself as the lining bush will be part of it. That's why it doesn't show up on the parts diagram.

and if there wasn't a bush then the boss is just machined metal with a close tolerance when new which has simply gone oval over the years.

The two options being:  to either ream it out so the hole is equal all around (remove the oval) and fit a metal sleave/bushing of uniform thickness. or cut a sliver of metal and try wrapping it around the shaft, i.e bodge it.

You can get thin tin brass, metal sheets in modelling shops, that you can try fabricating one from, try ebay.

something like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145190789050?itmmeta=01HYFM8YJR8XNME4P2JJBPXDRV&hash=item21ce0b9fba:g:JnIAAOSw16hkrgAq&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwF1kt81QocyvSrSnVPobJjdkDG7uW3KM%2F4gs%2FS1p4jjAj773U51RvIl9E4q0Rw4kGb8CdrvFVuG2%2FIGtIq0MdhmdaJYIWBpQCPXcxmxvMWGO3HGbZvFP9Rq9lWvRBbJQVwjuIjL40DoIrxvZV%2Bvx%2F7Pnkj3%2FPY4I6ds4ddUWxo1C%2Btfey1YsMC0heHBRbVDaxF40Nc0uVgQYosEBcGAwmCOs3C9hUdY4KPJnbPRi%2BWWPgn4Mfk01R6oMM%2FrFXk0%2FEQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8Tpo_TzYw

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thank you Neo.

Yes its gone oval and the shim if it ever had one is long gone...

I'm either going with ptfe tape and see how long it lasts... or some copper slug repelling tape... or last ditch... a tin can insert or tin can new shim... or very last ditch.... I'll buy a new one.

Many thanx.

Edited by seana
spellin
  • Thanks 1

Those first 2 options are definitely not going to work lol
The tin can insert idea will probably work until you find a replacement.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:37 AM, NE0 said:

I know this because taking bikes apart you come across various bodges that previous owners have tried to varying degrees of success.

I agree with Snake and I think my earlier quote will apply to your efforts🤣