R6 2002 2nd gear fix HELP

Radio909
This post is 6489 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone here know of anyone good that would do this job for me or have any idea's on the fix itself.

the gear dogs on the 2nd gear have worn! I've only had the bike a year aswell but its got so bad that it now slips out of gear, doesnt change properly into 3rd and makes an aweful sound if ever in 2nd gear.

I've been told its a big job and will require the whole engine to be removed

I'd like to know of anyone that have had this problem aswell

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never heard of this prob with an R6 as of yet :headscratch:

Older FJ1100's had this prob with 2nd gear.......but you never really heard about it as most riders would spend the majority of thier time in the top 2 gears.

I wonder if there's been any recalls on this scenario? :unsure:

From the symptoms you described, it definitely sounds like the 2nd gear cluster is your culprit ;)

Sometimes it just ends up being a pair of bent shift forks.......but since your probs all seem to gravitate around the 2nd gear cog.....more than likely that's where the problem lies. :(

It will require motor removal to repair........& it sure wouldn't hurt to have a good service manual as well.

Best of Luck with it ;)