FZ6 Questions...

Andy04180
This post is 6101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howdy, I'm a bit new to bikes and such. I had a dirtbike as a kid ( can't remember it though ) Now I'm older and looking into street bike for riding to work and such. Taking a MSF Course eventually ( later this year ) to familiarize myself some with a bike. I was curious how the US FZ6 is for a beginner and comfort of this bike. Planning on keeping this for a while.

My bike choices ( In my price range ) are Yamaha FZ6 and a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Both are nice looking bikes. now to get some feed back from people who have ridden them. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy, I'm a bit new to bikes and such. I had a dirtbike as a kid ( can't remember it though ) Now I'm older and looking into street bike for riding to work and such. Taking a MSF Course eventually ( later this year ) to familiarize myself some with a bike. I was curious how the US FZ6 is for a beginner and comfort of this bike. Planning on keeping this for a while.

My bike choices ( In my price range ) are Yamaha FZ6 and a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Both are nice looking bikes. now to get some feed back from people who have ridden them. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Andy

Hi Andy, I have a 2005 FZ6, I have put on 20,000Kms and counting in 18 months and this bike is awesome.......seating position is comfortable.......Yamaha says this bike is not for the novice and I would agree that it does have alot of power but once you get used to it you will enjoy, It can be a bike you will keep for a long time and not get bored with as the power is there if you want it, factory suspension is a bit soft so you may have to adjust the rear shock like I did....depending on your cornering ability?

I haven't ridden the Kawi but have read alot and the FZ6 is by far a better bike in my opinion.

Good Luck on your course.....definitly a good idea!!

Thanks for the insight. I am going to go sit on one of each to see how comfortable they are for me ( 6'1, 200lbs ( on a good day ). Making sure that it's going to be something that is worth it to me. Because it's gonna stay for a while. Not rich, so I can't get it and change my mind shortly after hehehe. I have horrible luck selling stuff usually so I'm doing a 1 purchase for a while type deal. Maybe my son will wanna get into riding when he's old enough. hehehe.. thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Go with the FZ6. I was considering the same two bikes(FZ6 -vs- Ninja 650R) ended up bying 2007 FZ6 and absolutly love it. Handles great, very fast with plenty power, and is very comfortable for me(6'4" 205 lbs) When I'm not riding it, I'm thinking of riding it.

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Don't know if you bought that FZ6 yet. I just joined the forum and have been going through different posts. I've ridden many different bikes over the years (85 Kaw Vulcan 700, 84 Honda Magna V65 and the Saber V65, 82 Yamaha Maxim 750, 02 Yamaha R* 1600 and a 07 Yamaha FZ6).

I put a lot of miles on a bike every year, the R* has 72,000 miles and the FZ6 has 20,000 this year (a record for me).

I love the FZ6, except for being chain drive, first one for me and requires maint. where belt and shaft are basically maint. free. The FZ6 has great power and handles very well in traffic, most of my miles are commuting. For a first street bike it will be something you can handle easily and will be able to take you to triple digit speed as experience allows with no problem, 123 mph at 10,000 rmp in 6th gear, red-line is 14,000 rpm.

Good luck and keep it between the ditches.

Ed3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online