Virago DragStar XVS125 - Things to look out for?

TdashJ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

From what little I know about them (which isn't a lot), just the usual: Rust, make sure ALL the electrics work, make sure the suspension runs free.
The usual bike stuff...

Same as Snake really, but I will add, its already 20 years old so check out the rubber parts as they start to perish around this time (on cars too)

The fork seal rubbers are always worth a look, check for oil or a slimey feeling on the chrome stanchions (above the seals) which might indicate they are going hard. Look for chrome pitting above the seals, as the stanchions slide through the fork seals , those little raised pits in the chrome, damage the fork seals causing leaks.

Don't forget the tyres, it's likely that they are the original ones, they do tend to stay on a bike for a long time, but the side walls can crack, and that's now looked at in more detail on the new MOT's, along with the age of the tyre. (there's now a date stamped on the tyre on new rubber polo mints!)

Consequently, go online to gov.uk* and check the MOT history for the reg and look for any advisories over recent years and see if they've been addressed.

Hope that helps. Nice little bike that.

(*I'm assuming you're in the UK although you may be anywhere in the World)

Edited by NE0

Thanks!

Tyres look good, but the pics don’t show the whole tyre. Fork seals look good, but again the picture isn’t great and isn’t close up. 
The bike hasn’t had an MOT since 2011 as apparently the previous owner was older and just didn’t ride. The current owner bought it from him to do up to sell I believe (looks like he’s been doing it for more than a decade). Says he’ll get it MOT’d before the sale though. 

thanks again

It's more about the tyre condition rather than the wear...

Fork seals will leak if there's even a TINY piece of grit or damage, you can only really check them by wiping your finger down the stanchions...

The MOT situation isn't great, look for flat spots on the tyres from where it's been sitting for God knows how long.

Check what state the chain is in...

Do you know the reg? If you let me know it, I can do the usual DVLA checks if you want.

Both Snake and I are giving you the advice of what to look out for when you get to inspect the bike, not examining the photo for you!

Afterall you did say...." before I go and see it in person I was wondering if there was anything in particular to look out for on these bikes"

We were advising you on these things for you to look at when you get there.

Good luck