Mr

Michael Terry

I have 2 Yamaha motor cycles and have a question regarding 9 digit VIN numbers on my bikes. Can anyone help decode them, please.

1KT xxxxxx

1WGO xxxxx

Any help would be appreciated as the DVLA seem to have made a mess of the V5s - one is down as being manufactured in Thailand!

Many thanks

Michael

Edited by Snakebite68
Removing Personal Information...
  • Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't help, but I'm sure someone will be along who has a clue before very long...

On closer inspection...
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the main page, there's a link for a decoder.

Yamaha Motorcycle VIN Decoder - Online VIN Check & Verifica - Yamaha Owners Club (yamahaclub.com)

• Like 1

The 1KT series is a TZR 250 from 1986. (according to wiki it states:- The parallel twin 2MA variant being the UK variant and the 1KT model being the domestic Japanese model.

The 1WG series is a FZR400  late 80s early 90s. I wonder if the O in 1WGO  is in fact a zero for the rest of the numbers ie. 1WG 01234.

Also, if you're unsure, just type in : "Yamaha 1WG" or "Yamaha 1KT" into ebay to see the thousands of parts available for each of the designations.

Edited by NE0

Many thanks for your help.  I have tried the VIN decoder but as both of my bikes only have nine digit codes, they do not appear to comply. Both are in the Marlborough colours and I think they may be special editions. I also think that the TZR 250 may be a very early model. I will keep searching!

Generally, (before they introduced the modern VIN ) all the earlier vehicles (ALL makes of vehicles) the number following the designation matches the engine number and it's quite simply the number off the production line starting at 1 etc.  Both my late 70's bikes are alll designation codes followed by production number.

and looking at Snakes post the decoder mentioned at the bottom of the page confirms the designation letters. http://www.johnnystoybox.com/parts_cross-ref_3.htm

pages 14 and 15

as regards to the remaining numbers and looking at that decoder (The 9 Digit Vin part, yours are 9 digit ones) in more detail I'm not fully convinced, although it states the 5th number or letter is the YEAR  and the 6th being the FACTORY code , ok fair enough ............but then it spoils it by stating the last three numbers are the production numbers, that would imply they only make a maximum of  999 machines!

Edited by NE0

Incidentally, it might not be wise to display your VIN in case some unscrupulous scrote decides to use it to clone another vehicle, given that there are bike thefts galore going on around the world!!!   Just edit your VIN to be 1KT XXXXXX ( x= numbers)

I appreciate they could randomally put any numbers that just happen to match, but yours are legite numbers registerd with DVLA.

Just trying to protect you bud.

Edited by NE0
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NE0 said:

Incidentally, it might not be wise to display your VIN in case some unscrupulous scrote decides to use it to clone another vehicle, given that there are bike thefts galore going on around the world!!!   Just edit your VIN to be 1KT XXXXXX ( x= numbers)

I appreciate they could randomally put any numbers that just happen to match, but yours are legite numbers registerd with DVLA.

Just trying to protect you bud.

I was thinking the same thing.
edited...

• Thanks 1