Changing rear brake pads on fazer 600

Guest trimble
This post is 4722 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest trimble

Hi,

I've got a 2003 fazer 600, I recently changed the rear brake pads. Due to being an idiot when i removed the old ones i did not notice which side/pad the metal backing plate went on. It's difficult to ecxplain but they only half cover the back of the pad and on the one side there is a small piece of metal which holds the plate/pad in place. I've put this on with the metal piece facing forward towards the direction of travel. Is this correct????

Also I've noticed over last week or so that there is a minor qeaking noise coming from the back brake at low speed, are they prone to seizing or could it be this backing plate thing.

Any info or advice much appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could very well be that backing plate making those noises ;)

There's some stuff you can buy (not sure where on your side of the pond :unsure: )....but it's refered to as Disc Brake Quiet over here......it basically is like a sealant for the caliper piston to adhere to that backing plate. I remember it being a Non-Hardening type, sorta like a gasket sealer.

Hope this helps @ least a little ;)

It could very well be that backing plate making those noises ;)

There's some stuff you can buy (not sure where on your side of the pond :unsure: )....but it's refered to as Disc Brake Quiet over here......it basically is like a sealant for the caliper piston to adhere to that backing plate. I remember it being a Non-Hardening type, sorta like a gasket sealer.

Hope this helps @ least a little ;)

In the UK some places retail WURTH brake paste in a little sachet, we do were I work, for about 60p, if you can't find any near you, use copa slip, any engineering place should have it. A small dab smeared over the areas of the pad that touch the pistons

The metal plates are fitted to help prevent the pad squeel you have, try fitting them the other way around, and next time, look at things are BEFORE you take them apart (handy tip #47, take a picture with a digital camera, could proove invaluable when reassembling something).

• 4 years later...

I've just read this post and encountered the same situation, 5 years down the line! I have what may be the answer if anyone else finds this post. Hopefully, clicking on or pasting the following link in the toolbar will bring up a schematic of the topic in question:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9255004/Yamaha-Fazer-600-2000Repair-Manual?query=brakes

I just tried this myself by clicking on iy, but didn't go directly to the brake section on the manual, but having checked again, it's section 7 and page 15 to see the direction of the "anti-squeel" plates. Reading on from there, more useful info. is available.