XVS 125 Not going faster than 37mph

Dominus
This post is 382 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've bought an XVS 125 (2000) and I'm having the issue of not going any faster than 37mph ( 60km/h )

I've allready checked : Air filter, Exhaust, Air/fuel mix, changed the battery and changed the oil

The bike pulls well in 1st gear but in 2nd it goes towards the 60km/h and than it just stops pulling... what am I missing ? Is there any restrictor I don't know about ? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a restriction of some kind.

Aren't 50cc bikes limited to 32mph (could well be 37mph with an optimistic speedo)

Maybe it was restricted down to match that rule?

I can't seem to find any limiter installed, and the previous owner states he has hit 110km/h with it and is at a loss as well. I'm not sure if I believe him, yet I want to find out how to fix this. How can I find the limiter if there's one installed ?

21 minutes ago, Dominus said:

I can't seem to find any limiter installed, and the previous owner states he has hit 110km/h with it and is at a loss as well. I'm not sure if I believe him, yet I want to find out how to fix this. How can I find the limiter if there's one installed ?

There could be a throttle stop, restriction in the carb, maybe a rev limiter. 

There's a few ways to do it unfortunately so I can't really say

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online