YBR 125 cc gearbox selector problem

wikidee

Hello I am Dave this is my first time posting here so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section .

I am looking for a bit of advice really . I am not a mechanic but can do basic repairs so please bear with me . I recently decided to have a ride on my 2010 ybr 125 cc last time i used it was about 3 years ago so I was going to take it for a MOT so that I could give it to my son to get to work or just to go to the shops on etc. when i put the bike away it was fine however when i got the bike out today i noticed the gear selector which you lift up or down with your foot to select the gears was in the wrong position. I put my foot underneath it to lift it up and to my surprise found that the selector was so loose that it was just hanging there . I got off the bike and I was able to select the gears by pushing the lever against the bike and then gently selecting gears . I am assuming that whatever holds the lever in place has broken or whatever holds the gear selector in position has dropped off.  If it is a nut etc that goes on the end of a shaft I could try and find this I have found another gear selector on ebay so if I need one of them I could get one but there must either be a circlip or a nut that holds this gear selector shaft in place . So my question is what has come off ???? is there a nut or a pin / circlip etc that keeps the selector in place because at the moment it can be moved nearly all the way round like the hands on a clock and I would like to get it sorted so that I can give the bike to my son to go to work on. Any advice / help would be appreciated before I take the thing apart I wanted to check to see if it is something I can sort easily etc?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yamaha YBR125ED 2010 SHIFT SHAFT supplied next day (UK only) by Fowlers Parts

That link shows the shift leaver assay.

# 11 shows a bolt that holds the leaver to the rod. If that is in place and it still moves, I would suggest that maybe the shaft has broken (something hit it in storage?) or it has become detached at the other end.

Let us know about the bolt and someone more experienced will probably chip in...

But honestly, if it's not the bolt, you're probably better just handing it over to a mechanic to fix. In my experience (limited), gears are tricky...