Tx500 Can’t get the points adjusted!

Nigel T
This post is 370 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. Having problems setting the points on my 1973 TX500. Have previously had the head and therefore cam chain off but thought I had realigned to all the marks highlighted in the manual. Points hit T on backing plate for left cylinder TDC on compression stroke but points won't close ahead of the FL mark or open at the mark. They will approx 180 degrees where cam is moving from low to high? What have I done wrong in the rebuild?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd start from scratch. make sure the valves are def on compression ie both loose on the cylinder and the timing mark is there. the LF (left fire should have the points opening, you may need to rotate the backing plate to achieve this, if not, then you are 180' out.

Hi. Thanks a lot for your response.

Just fixed it, after a week of head scratching and checking everything I found that the previous owner had reversed the cam on the advance unit…..no wonder it was a non-runner.

I didn’t even know it came apart!

• Like 1

Grats! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online