First timer

Rikryder

Just bought my first motorcycle yesterday ('07 v-star 1300). I'm on the road taking her for a few hour ride around Lake Livingston Texas. I stopped at a diner for a BLT and I happened upon this forum. Figured this was the place to be. I haven't run into any issues yet, but I'm sure I will before long. 

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks, as well as any riding buddies around the Houston area. I'm band new to all of this. 

I'm also going to be doing a ride from Houston, TX to west Colorado and camping along the way next month. Planning to head through NM. Any advice or good places to check out, or ride would be appreciated. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tips:

1/ Assume everyone else on the road is out to get you...

2/ Go at your own speed, not anyone elses...

3/ Carry some spare fuel, even if it's just a ltr...

10 hours ago, Rikryder said:

I've been thinking about that fuel bit a lot too. Strikes me as odd not to have any fuel gauge. Kinda makes me nervous.

We now have proper gauges on bikes, the light is on older bikes, before that... NOTHING..!
Old bikes had a 3rd position on the fuel valve for reserve, your bike starts to chug, you switch to reserve and go find a petrol station! lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, Rikryder said:

Thanks Snakebite68, that all seems like sound advice. Hopefully it'll help keep the rubber side down. I've been thinking about that fuel bit a lot too. Strikes me as odd not to have any fuel gauge. Kinda makes me nervous.

I have both a car and a bike with no fuel gauge. You quickly become good at working out how many miles you will do on a tank and adjusting it conservatively based on driving / riding style ! 

• Like 1