BT1100 Bulldog - the benefit of your wisdom please!

oodoom
This post is 4308 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks

Not a Yamaha owner at the moment but am thinking about getting a Bulldog. It seems to get mixed reviews but I like the idea of a big V Twin in a bike that can handle and stop. Its a cool looking bike too, but I other than that I dont know much about it - so thought I might find some advice on this site! So, couple of questions for you:

Whats it like to own? Reliable? Easy to do basic servicing at home?

Does it handle/stop well? (Bearing in mind Im a bit of a noob - passed my test 6 months ago. So Im not, nor never will be, a 'knee-down-ninja'!)

My one concern is the lack of power - 60HP seems a bit crap for such a big engine - how much can it be tuned? Will new cans, a K&N and a Dynojetting get a bit more out of it?

Actually that was more than a couple of questions but I once I started I couldnt stop!

All advice gladly received

Thanks

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 year later...

I've seen or two about, but as you've said they're pretty gutless. TBH....I'm not even sure what the hell they're for.

Personally I'd say look elsewhere. Nice V-Strom is what you want! :lol:

Hi, Why don't you ride one BEFORE you have an opinion. The BT1100 is plenty fast enough as it has high torque. handling is superb, for a ROAD bike.

A production racer it isn't, but are you? After 29 years experience riding all over Europe and Africa I cannot fault the Bulldog.

TYRES:

I you buy one go to a tyre centre and get rid of the Metzler MEZ4's, even if they are new. I found they do not work well in the wet and wear 3 flat areas on the bottom and sides of the tyre.

Try Bridgestone BT21's, super grip and light to steer and Continental Road attacks if you want to ride HARD, superb grip in all conditions, even on rough roads!!

Hi Folks

Not a Yamaha owner at the moment but am thinking about getting a Bulldog. It seems to get mixed reviews but I like the idea of a big V Twin in a bike that can handle and stop. Its a cool looking bike too, but I other than that I dont know much about it - so thought I might find some advice on this site! So, couple of questions for you:

Whats it like to own? Reliable? Easy to do basic servicing at home?

Does it handle/stop well? (Bearing in mind Im a bit of a noob - passed my test 6 months ago. So Im not, nor never will be, a 'knee-down-ninja'!)

My one concern is the lack of power - 60HP seems a bit crap for such a big engine - how much can it be tuned? Will new cans, a K&N and a Dynojetting get a bit more out of it?

Actually that was more than a couple of questions but I once I started I couldnt stop!

All advice gladly received

Thanks

Adam

Adam, Test ride one, then buy it if you like it!, I love the bike and have toured all over on it. Fab handling, economy ( for those that use their bike! )and easy as pie to maintain - Enjoy!!!, Simon.

• 4 years later...

Just bought one and I love the bike. But it is built for comfort not for speed. Pulls like a train from 30 in top to 110 plus not sure what it will go on to. But then that's not what this bike is about.

Agree a test drive is the thing to do. I don't think it's a lot faster than my 600 bandit, but its a great bike in my opinion.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online