steering seized on ybr-125

mick_dundee
This post is 6546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, am new here and looking for a wee bit of advice.

I picked up my new ybr on Thursday, my first bike. I had done approx 60 miles since then and everything had been fine, until last night.

I was on a nice open road, there was a very short left bend, nice and easy to take. I was doing approx 30mph and in the middle of my lane. When i tried to turn left to continue around the bend, the steering locked. I gradually started to drift to the right in a diagonal line and no matter how hard i tried, I couldn't straighten up to turn. I didn't panic, i didn't speed up and I am 100% positive I was not imagining this. When i was in the right hand lane and still couldn't turn, I hit the brakes and the steering only freed up when i hit the kerb and skidded along the road with the bike on top of me.

The dealers are telling me it is mechanically impossible for the steering to lock and that it was down to bad riding or I was imagining it.

Can anyone share any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds as if there is a steering lock on it and when it was sold probly was not working correctly and just happened to pop into place at a very bad time, possibly a piece of crap is in the steering bearings like bad molding metal chunk from the casing or even the bearing it's self, I understand the feeling of not being able to turn in corners but if she locked up,, that is diffrent, probly need to take her aparts and check those bearings or maybe somthing fell down in the way, tool and forgot about it, I guess there are a few veryables now that I type it out,,,, :( sorry to hear about the crash.

I would have reputable witnesses with me when I tore into her though, if it was a bad lock or somthing that you should not be responsable for going bad in such a short time, it will take a court room to take care of the finances if you bought it from a dealer and possibly a private person if in fact they truly did know about a steering problem, If i understand correctly, it came from a dealer, VIDEO tape of the entire break down would be good too for refrence of moving video and sound recorded, video the whole thing being tore down would lessen the chance for a fraud type thing in court. Good luck, It does happen, not often but once I believe is enough for a dealer to have to take care of it and not to turn around and call you a bad rider!!!

Hi guys, am new here and looking for a wee bit of advice.

I picked up my new ybr on Thursday, my first bike. I had done approx 60 miles since then and everything had been fine, until last night.

I was on a nice open road, there was a very short left bend, nice and easy to take. I was doing approx 30mph and in the middle of my lane. When i tried to turn left to continue around the bend, the steering locked. I gradually started to drift to the right in a diagonal line and no matter how hard i tried, I couldn't straighten up to turn. I didn't panic, i didn't speed up and I am 100% positive I was not imagining this. When i was in the right hand lane and still couldn't turn, I hit the brakes and the steering only freed up when i hit the kerb and skidded along the road with the bike on top of me.

The dealers are telling me it is mechanically impossible for the steering to lock and that it was down to bad riding or I was imagining it.

Can anyone share any light on this?

Thanks in advance.