Alternative Carburettor for XJ550

richsteer
This post is 927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just purchased my first bike, a Yamaha XJ550 Maxim (1981 yr). 

It is missing all its carburettors. I am having difficult in finding Yamaha carbs as replacement. Can anyone recommend how I go about buying a new set of carbs and how I tell which sets would fit the bike?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Richsteer

Welcome to the site, and to the world of biking ( XJ550 nice first bike)

There are various websites which sell parts for Yamahas

One which will be helpful will be this site https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj550_model16827/ Once you get used to navigating around you can find which other bikes (if any) share the parts. Unfortunately it would appear that the carbs only fit the XJ500 (Europe model). Assume you are in UK? or USA?

Nonethless, new carbs won't be cheap and bear in mind a 1981 bike is already forty years old!! Most suppliers don't often keep new original unsold parts on the shelf for so long. You may be able to get 'pattern parts'. remade carbs but its questionable whether it was popular enough and has enough of a following for a company to invest in making them. (bear in mind the carbs don't appear to fit anything else).

Which leaves you with the second hand market of ebay and other such sites.

Then its all down to luck and whether someone has a set of four to sell. You might have  better luck on looking "worldwide" instead of your local country.

There's none available (only pattern repair parts) in the UK, I've just looked for you. Unfortunately theres also none available "worldwide" either...but thats just today. Looking at the 'completed sales'....there hasn't been any either recently.

However, there has been a couple of 'barn find' XJ550s which were purchased both selling for under £500. So there  is a chance of getting something for spares. Which might be useful if you've got one.

I must say that I might have wondered why a bike was being sold WITHOUT its carbs? it may be the previous owner was having the same difficulty. just my thoughts.

Anyway i wish you well in your search...keep us informed.

Good Luck ..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online