1975 DT175 magneto damage

lotty
This post is 965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Advice/thoughts please. Should I just get these rewound, and if so who'd be good to do it?      Or could i buy a replacement? Or maybe electronic ignition?

I don't know a lot, so even if it is simple let me know please. inside the flywheel the cam runs free. This must need to be held in place. So there is a little hole in the bottom of the cam and then the retarder (I think it is called something like that), and which you can see failed and the arm of it came loose and chewed up the coils. Well, that little arm should go into that hole to hold it in place??? I'll need another one of those or have to make the old one do, but what are they called?

Anyway, here's the pics

Edited by lotty
security

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for reply Blackhat. Shame no pics showing. They do for me. I don't know how to show them. I'll email them if you'd feel ok about that. The pics tell the tale well.

In the actual flywheel, screwed to the base, is a 'thing' that has a rocking thing on it and this rocking thing has come off it and got lodged so as when i kicked it over it was taken round by the flywheel and chewed up the three coils on the stasis plate. It just skimmed them enough to cut top layer of copper wires. The condenser and points are ok as it missed them. I'll have to replace the coils, but would be hard to find, so think will have to have em rewound. I can find places in the US, but not so sure who would be good to rewind them in UK, so maybe you might be able to recommend a place.

As to that 'rocker thing', I'll have to replace that, but I don't know what it is called to get one. Shame about the pics. This computer stuff just baffles me. insert image from URL....to my brain. Ha ha, you've got to laugh.

Hi Lotty,

As Telly Savalis once sung a song!!....A picture paints a thousand words.....sing??? He practically talked his way through the song!....anyway.....I've re read your previous posts about your DT, it seems you successfully managed to upload photos via photobucket before...

You could try again using Flickr as photobucket no longer works.

There is an excellent step by step guide by drewpy here:-

https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/45201-uploading-photos/

Your uploads attempt seem to be done with Outlook and its linked to your hotmail account. (hovering over the broken photo link gives the world this information).

Edited by NE0

Ha ha............'if my magneto should stop revolving......'.   Ball and chain did the photobucket stuff, ha ha. 

Thanks about mi hotmail account link.....think sorted it.

It's just too difficult, the cookies, the hoops, the this, the that, and often still doesn't work. I can't take it anymore....'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!'.  Ha ha.

I'll just get 'em rewound. Seen something ont internet...rex's or something. Tried to email them but got email saying undeliverable. But I'll plod on and get there. Thanks for your views and replies. Wish I could have done the pics as it would have been interesting to follow the job through.