Motorcycle newbie with a (California) legal question

Noobercycle
This post is 6625 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone,

My name is Nick, I'm 21 and I've been riding for 17 years (my bicycle that is :P ).

I have been wanting a motorcycle for a loooooong time and now that I'm out from under the watchful eye of my mother and father, I have purchased my first. It's a 1978 Yamaha DT175, pretty much not my dream ride but a cheap bike for me to learn on.

My question is a legal one, if anybody is knowledgable on that subject. I live in California. I asked a motorcycle enthusiast accquaintance if he could locate a few parts for me. I need a couple of mirrors, a brake light, brake light relay, turn signal relay, ignition switch, and battery :o in order for me to satisfy the motorcycle legal code. I told him the make/model/year of my bike and he asked if it was a 2-stroke. I told him it was and he asked me if it had plates. I told him that I needed the parts so I could ride the bike to the DMV (got my temporary operator permit when I passed my permit test) and get it titled, registered, and plated.

He told me that if a 2-stroke was not plated by a certain year (2001? rough estimate) it wouldn't be allowed to be plated for on-highway use. Of course, my heart sank and I've been doing research on this matter since. I called the DMV and spoke to some woman who had no idea what I was talking about (didn't know 2 from 4 stroke) so now I'm here, asking for your help because motorcyclists are probably more knowledgeable on bikes than a DMV phone jockey.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some insight on my problem...school's starting soon and I'm not riding my bicycle all those miles any longer if I can help it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly can I just say why are you still in school if you're 21? Are retarded or something and put down 5 years?

Lastly, Im new here but the law does'nt bother me, I choose how I live life, If that means riding illegal bikes/cars then so beit.

Anyway your bike should be legal to ride as long as you have current MOT, TAX, and INSURANCE.

MOT's only apply to the other side of the pond ;)

Here in Oregon, we just have to pay the registration fee, title transfer, & have proof of Insurance......

To get current year tags for the plate. I believe California is pretty similar? :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online