Yamaha twinjet yl1 and trailmaster yg1 questions and repairs

Hi tim
This post is 1027 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, last week I decided to pick myself up a couple of sweet looking bikes off of Facebook being the impulsive 15 year old I am. I have never owned something with 2 wheels before so not sure if I made a good choice but one is a twin jet 100 and the other is a trail master 80. The 80 is completely seized and the cylinder block is pretty messed up. The transmission kicks into gear though and it is complete enough just needs a couple of things I could probably do myself except for the motor. The twin jet spins freely has good compression but is missing key switch, the wiring is messed up,  missing a second carburator it only has 1 at the moment and needs other repairs that I can kinda jimmy together. It has no spark and I'm not sure if I need a battery in order for it to make spark or if I can try and hotwire it? I can post pictures of both if there is any intrest in helping me, I'm hoping to get at least 1 running so I can have something antique to show off and enjoy. I find them awesome to a degree that i don't even understand and I'm going to be pretty free all summer so I'm not opposed to throwing in some good work if I get a good turnout. Anyone have ideas on where I can find the listed parts or if they have any parts they can spare? There is more it needs but I have to look into it further. Hopefully some enthusiasts can help me here and turn some lawn ornaments into something me and other people can enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions about them I will happily answer to the best of my ability. I feel like people make a good point when they want to keep older things around and working because honestly there is absolutely nothing in the world as cool, tough or intriguing as an antique. Thanks for your intrest have a good day everyone!

Any kind of help in any way would go miles for me. Thanks again

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the first thing you should do is contact the police and make sure they're not reported stolen. Facebook is NOT the location of choice for motorcycle purchases. Also, there's no good reason for the electrics to be 'messed up' and missing a 'key switch' if someone hadn't already been trying to hotwire it...