Engine fuel trouble

Sprout
This post is 419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1981 Yamaha 1100 Special that I have enjoyed riding for years.  At he end of the season last year I put the bike away in the shop (was running great).  This spring I got the bike out and filled it up with fresh fuel.  It starts perfectly and idles fine, will even rev up normal.  Three different times now I have got on it to ride and make it about a mile down the road and it starts bogging down and blowing smoke out of the exhaust and dies. I trailer it home and park it.  After a day or so I try it again and the exact same problem.  This has happened 3 times now.  I have put 2 new sets of spark plugs in it, with no change.  Any ideas of what to check out would be appreciated.  Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Was there anything showing on the plugs, excessively wet or black. Ig is easier to check than carbs but ultimately it sounds like you need to give the carbs a good clean. Your coming off choke at a mile or so as the engine gets up to temp and as she wants a leaner mixture it sounds like she isnt getting it and chokes out.

It dosn"t need choke ?  [ or its auto choke ? ]   sounds like  its stuck on. 

that would bog it wen warmed up ,

Yep, sounds like perm choke. May not need full choke in the summer but should always need a little from stone cold.

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online