My poor bike is suffering...

Snakebite68
This post is 1053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I ride year round, and with all the weather we've been having lately they've been drowning the roads in salt, and with the lockdown, finding a jetwash open is near impossible!

So, obviously the bike is taking a bit of a hammering. It doesn't help that it has a full fairing...

After several slightly crap hand washes (I'm getting on and don't have a garage, so getting on my hands and knees in the freezing wet isn't easy or good lol), I've managed to find a jetwash and gave it a good 'low' pressure wash yesterday.

I spent an hour messing around with it today, cleaned the chain, hand washed it, re-greased the chain and kickstand workings.

Two questions:

1/ What else should I be doing?

2/ How do I polish up the aluminium bits (pegs, kick plates & rear calliper) which have suffered a bit from the salt. I assume they have a surface coating on them witch I don't want to take off unless there's no other option.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

best to coat the bike (not the brakes) acf50 or i have scott oil 365 it'll  keep corrosion away and protect electrics too.

If corrosion has got under the all coating, then it needs to come off, no other way. just use peeks or if its really bad, solvo autosol

• Like 1

I take the fairings (lowers) off my fazer, slip rubber gloves over the exhaust outlets, rinse with cold water, wash with whatever ive got at the time, chammy off what I can get at, then blow dry with the compressor. Leave it a day or two, then cover over the brakes/wheels, seat off, using a low pressure spray gun (5psi), spray all over with ACF50. Leave a day, then wipe off any excess which has formed. I pivot the tank and get underneath that too, all around and under the swinger, get it right into the engine, and particularly the manifold area, as the clamp bolts are notorious for corroding. When that's done, wipe over the brake discs with brake cleaner, take the calipers off and clean the insides with a little detergent and water, red grease the exposed pistons. A fair bit of work, but you can spot stuff that might need doing while you're at it. Chain is blow dried, then oiled up.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, neversaydie said:

take the calipers off and clean the insides with a little detergent and water, red grease the exposed pistons.

the thought of grease inside brake calipers scares me.

now that im a fair weather rider, i just clean the insides occasionally, no grease or copperslip.

1 hour ago, jcr said:

the thought of grease inside brake calipers scares me.

now that im a fair weather rider, i just clean the insides occasionally, no grease or copperslip.

Well, the red grease SHOULD be there anyway. That's what the pistons should be greased with anyway.

The brake callipers aren't a problem for me, I bought a second set, so I can just swap them out when they need maintenance and do them at my leisure... :D 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online