Cranky DT175MX...

ScottLee
This post is 1161 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Putting an engine together and after spending a great deal of time learning what to do getting bearings out and new ones in I've finally put the cases together and have discovered that the threaded part of the crank is on the piss.

It's got a noticeable bend in it and am guessing that this is going to cause a severe vibration and lead to the demise of the bearing pretty quickly.

Am I right in this assumption and what are my options?

20210213_180145.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
4 hours ago, Airhead said:

It's hard to tell but actually the rotor site on the tapered part so if that's not bent it might be ok?

It's just the threaded part. The tapered shaft is fine Just worried that the bent thread will push the flywheel out of line and cause a vibration.

I don't think torqueing it up will take the kink out of it.

4 hours ago, Airhead said:

You could put it together and test the rotor with a dti ( dial test indicator) any local engineering firm may be able to do this for you?

How did it get bent?

This is one that I bought off ebay that arrived wrapped in a big ball of gaffa tape with a postage label on so might have been that but there's no damage to the thread at all or anywhere on it actually, to indicate it's been dropped but knowing delivery firms like I do intimately, it wouldn't have been handled with much care.

I have clouted it a little on the end with a wooden mallet to get the cases to split when it became obvious I hadn't used enough heat to get the 2 halves to go together.

Could have been that too I suppose. 😬

This is my spare engine. I have one in the main bike I'm working on to do yet but wanted to cut my teeth on this one. The main one is numbers matching and I didn't want to do anything to ruin it so using this one to learn the art of rebuilding a DT engine.

So far so good. 🤓