Engine Paint Recommendations

Rigid Ragdoll
This post is 1210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I intend to paint my engine soon after I've done all the necessary prep, but just wondering if anybody who's done the same has any recommendations for paints? Obviously gonna need some high temperature primer which was easy to find, but for the engine paint there seems to be so many different types.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Rigid,

Welcome to the club, as regards to the type of engine paint It will partly be what type of finish you're looking for and what colour you're after! furthermore it might be helpful if we knew what engine you were going to paint.

For example, if you're looking for concours type finish then you might be trying to match the right shade of paint and whether its a semi-gloss or matt finish, you might then have a limited choice. However, equally you might be looking for a suitable paint that you don't care if it's identical to the original or not, don't care what colour it is and don't care  how long it lasts!  You don't really give enough detail in your question.

Having said that, i painted my DT175MX in Simonez Engine Enamel in a satin finish. I'm not sure if the original was Matt, Satin or gloss, i just wanted it to be black. There is no need to use primer it just goes straight on. I sprayed it in 2011 and rode the bike in all weathers, it's lasted very well, albeit it's gone dull in places but it hasn't flaked off. I strongly recommend it. However, i also recognise its not OEM, but I don't care, it's black.!

Conversely with my Honda 400/4 i wanted it sprayed in near OEM as i could, and I matched the right shade of engine silver paint and at the time Eastwoods Silver engine paint was a perfect match, but unfortunatley it suffers from the effects of petrol and oil and comes off, just like the original did!! but its the right shade and to me, that's all that matters!! so i have to touch it up with a bit of spray every now and then, it still looks good.

Hope that is of some help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online