Vehicle Registration

ScottLee
This post is 1287 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Recently purchased an unfinished project off Ebay and the fella at the time said he didn't have the V5 and that the original owner "had the bike from new" and "used it on a farm".

He's been on Ebay a while and his feedback was legit and on meeting him he's a bike restorer and he said that he had too much on and didn't have time to get around to finishing the rest, he bought it as unfinished too. I didn't get a whiff of anything dodgy.

Anyway i used an online service where you pay a fiver and they search your VIN and if they don't find anything you get your fiver back or they send you the registration number if they do. Anyway, I got my fiver back and he said he couldn't find anything.

Yambits have a VIN search facility to identify the model and year, they came back and confirmed what it was and the year and said that it was German in origin. 

Long story shorter, I've made inquiries about registering it. According to DVLA I need to contact HM Revenue and Customs and do a Nova for it which is fine but I have no idea when it was imported or whether it was done properly. Because of this bloody virus am struggling to get hold of anyone at either DVLA or HM R&C who can guide me through the process. Online forums are full of conflicting advice.

The bike is a 1978, I have no idea how long it's been in the country or who imported it. Have tried to trace it through previous owners but not had much luck.

Can anyone tell me definitively what I need to do in order to get it registered please?

Thanks again...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok" ,,its improrted from the EU. SO NO DUTY is due,,,,,go to GOV.UK.  sign in or make an account,  fill in the N.O.V.A form,,  just make up a figure paid,,etc,,  you will be issued a number, then you need a dating  cert,,  vjmc,,, or Aircooled RD FORUM,,,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 8:21 PM, blackhat250 said:

Ok" ,,its improrted from the EU. SO NO DUTY is due,,,,,go to GOV.UK.  sign in or make an account,  fill in the N.O.V.A form,,  just make up a figure paid,,etc,,  you will be issued a number, then you need a dating  cert,,  vjmc,,, or Aircooled RD FORUM,,,

Questions!

Do I need an MOT for the bike in order to register it? Can I Nova and register it before I finish building it or do I have to wait till it's finished and MOT it to prove roadworthyness before they'll issue a registration number?

Being 1978 and there being no major modifications beyond standard parts it should qualify as a vintage motorcycle and be MOT and Tax exempt?

Think vintage status is something that has to be applied for too? In which case I won't be able to do that until a registration number is issued?

Have found the air-cooled place that issues the age certificates so that one thing ticked off...

when i did my gilera, I had to get a dating certificate (free from piaggio)
insured on the frame number (limited to 5 days) then get an MOT
Send off for NOVA and then apply for registration number

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 8:21 PM, blackhat250 said:

The bike is 2k4 Vin which there are many UK bikes with that prefix. I only said German origin because that's what Yambits said but what's to say that they're correct and in any case, given the age of the bike, nobody will have any records anyway. So I may as well treat it as a UK bike and apply for an age appropriate registration, no?

Have looked at Nova and I'm missing a lot of information to complete their form because I don't know for certain it was imported, when or who by...

So I've got my dating certificate from that helpful chap at Air-Cooled place. Is it a V55/5 "first registration for a used vehicle" I need to do next?

Any advice gratefully received, thank you! 😊👍

Well i had a Zed 900,,  i told them it was Uk bought,, and lost Reg,,, no N.o.v.a needed they said,, i told them the price ,and last owner, 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online