My '87 FZR1000 Genesis...Oil cooler?

Elimax
This post is 1396 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all:

I'm a new member here, and I have a question: 

I live in a HOT part of the U.S....Phoenix, Arizona, where summer temps can hit 115 degrees.  My '87 FZR1000 Genesis runs fairly hot already (this is with a brand-new radiator, new Engine Ice coolant, new thermostat and new fan switch) and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with installing an aftermarket oil cooler. 

My research so far has proven to be fruitless...can anyone out there help me?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Define fairly hot. Vmaxes supposedly run hot and fells like riding a bar b que coal on a hot day but the bikes in aus and the bikes in the uk have the same cooling system. 

Have you checked the gauge is not reading high.

Hi Cynic:

Thanks for the reply. 

What is the best way to check if my gauge is running high?  Do you have any recommendations for a gauge/tool I could use to get my header temperatures when the bike is fully warmed up?  That would be most helpful.  (By the way, I own a Vmax also...it's an '89 with an R1 front end.  Killer bike!)

Thanks very much.

Elimax

Very nice, 17's and usd front end on mine, a 98, never tire of 6k....

hot water and a thermometer, engines run at around 90 deg typically. see what the gauge reads at around that figure, the manual will tell you the thermostat temp. Boil the water and put the sender in it connected to the bike.

Don't do it 'hot' on the bike using the engine as it may not be, what you think is hot may well be fine, not exactly safe either..

Make sure the connections are nice and clean. That can put the reading up too.

you can use an infrared thermometer too. very handy for diagnostic and for covid19

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

you can use an infrared thermometer too. very handy for diagnostic and for covid19

Yep mega cheap on Amazon 👌

I got one a while back to check for sticking brakes on my car. Useful for all sorts!

Regardless of if my engine is too hot, is there an aftermarket oil cooler that could be installed, if need be?  That's what I really need to know.

Thanks,

Elimax

4 minutes ago, Elimax said:

Regardless of if my engine is too hot, is there an aftermarket oil cooler that could be installed, if need be?  That's what I really need to know.

Thanks,

Elimax

Anything can be made to fit if you've got the skills yourself or deep pockets. As for an off-the-shelf aftermarket item I doubt it - the only time you'd see something like that is if an engine was commonly used in racing or the original unit was known to fail often.

fz600 have oil coolers, its basically a screw on part and i converted mine to a spin on filter from a xjr400

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online