2019 Tracer 900 wouldn't start .... temporarily

racy
This post is 1473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I stopped at a gas station, filled the tank, and turned on the key to go.  The engine turned over but wouldn't start.  I pushed the bike 100 ft to get away from the pump area.  Turned the key back on and it started OK.  So, what was that all about?  (The bike has 4000 miles on it.  And, always on a battery tender.)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does not sound like you have a problem with the battery as such cos if it turned the engine over then most likely it would have started, it can happen that when you get a hot engine and you then try to start it that it can have a "moment" where it refuses to start, unless this starts to happen all the time I would just put it down to one of those things that plague your every day motorcyclist and move on. Do the usual checks make sure the plug cap is secure and that fuel is flowing through to the engine see if the filler cap might need a clean, if the cap is blocked then it can starve the engine through vapour lock but I bet you find it's nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

I think I feel better....   didn't know this was "one of those things"...   I stopped & restarted a couple of more times that day with no issue. 

I traded my BMW R1200RT (which had an mysterious occasional idle problem) for the 'most reliable brand, Yamaha'.  So, it freaked me out a little....

Sometimes on todays really complex motorcycles you have moments like this where the fuel temperature sender says the fuel has suddenly dropped 20 degrees but the bike is hot and the brain has a bit of a 'huh?'

When you pushed it away and then started it things had most likely come back 'within normal operating limits'. Or it compensated somehow.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Yeh "  possibly  imobilizer  got confused  ,or Crank sensor,  my Discovery does this now and again , turn off - key out  -back in ,and Fires ,