Maxim XJ550 won't start

bikernewbie
This post is 5685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Trying to debug a starting problem. Not getting any response at all. Following the Clymer's manual I bypassed the starting circuit cut-off relay and supposedly got the correct behavior

from the starter solenoid. It says to check the relay, it's "behind' the solenoid. Nowhere in any of my manuals do I see a picture of one...is it a little metal cubic 1" box??

Starter is fine, battery okay, solenoid okay, neutral light is on, and

the starter button fires....I get nothing, occasionally a 'click'

You can hear the solenoid click and sometimes you can hear a whining noise where the motor is trying to start, but it won't turn over.

thanks

• 2 years later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

got the same problem man if you find out let me know

Starter motor brushes ?

A quick check with a good battery & jump leads, neg to ground on the engine, pos to the starter side of the relay, if the motor turns thats OK

Bad solenoid? ( it may click but the contacts inside may have burned out )

Check by using a jump lead to connect both terminals ( bypassing the solenoid ) - if the motor spins up the solenoid is bad

Check the fuse contacts and any earth leads - a bad connection can sap a lot of power due to the high resistance

Had this same issue with my 550 Seca once....ended up finding the Starter Circuit cut-off relay under the frame backbone,

above the coils. ;)

Yanked the relay & jumper-wired the connector to complete the circuit.

Best of Luck with it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online