1989 XJ600 help

Matt Green
This post is 1938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

First time on a forum. Thought someone with more knowledge than me could help.

I'm currently trying to get my xj600 up and running and back on the road. It's been sat in a shed for 10months. Now I got it started yesterday, and it runs just like it did before. However, I had to remove the front sprocket as even with the clutch in the sprocket still span round and would make the rear wheel spin. 

Does anyone know what would cause this issue? I road it once about a month ago and couldn't get it out of 3rd gear and then it just started going on it's own even with the clutch in. So I took the clutch out put new oil in and cleaned the plates. But still the same issue

Just a bit confusing really

Thanks for any help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,  the pawl behind the cluch basket,.  maybe need a spring, [ broken or fallen off]  ,take off the side cover again, and get some one to select gears,[ engine off]  see if its grabbing the selector drum,  its a claw,    :welcome:

turn the back wheel by hand to change up the gears, 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

So I took the cover of again and looked at the workings when a gear was selected

When a gear was selected, I then spun the rear wheel and it drops out of gear again. I've inspected the gear catcher and nothing seems to be wrong. I've taken a video or what happens but can't seem to upload it. Can videos be uploaded? Any ideas of what the issue may be?

You see the pawl [ claw]  it rotates the drum [ selecting gears,] but there is another small spring on a small detent arm, THIS HOLDS THE DRUM FROM   FREE TURNING]  AS YOU SAY FALL OUT OF GEAR, .  look for it,  it be behing clutch basket,  was there any metal parts in the oil or casing when removed, ?   do you have a manual ,

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 1938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.