Charing problem

thespirit
This post is 6527 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Some of the things I have done is test the rectifier, and it seems good. I tested the coils on the stator and they are all within the right resistance. I tested from ring to ring on the rotor (brushes out), and there is 5 ohms resistance. The only thing that I thought was odd, was the brushes were connected together. The brush with the smaller metal clip was screwed into the top left of the holder (left side of the holder) and the one with the larger clip was on the right side with it screwed into the top left, top right, and bottom right. There was no connection to the bottom left screw. With the brushes out, there is a 36 ohm resistance between the two brush wires. I posted to a mailing list about it and they said they are not supposed to be connected together. So I took them back out and connected it so the left brush (small metal clip) is connected to the bottom left screw (shorter wire, non frame ground), and the right brush is connected like it was before. I put it all back together and tried to start it and it rolled over once and then everything quit. I checked the main fuse and it's blown. (It was not blown previously)...

I have very little experiance and am trying to get as many opinions as I can. Pictures of how the brushes are supposed to screw in would be ideal.

My way of thinking is that the brushes are now correct, but the resistance between the two brush wires indicate a short somewhere... Am I on the right track? I can't get the left side cover off till tomorrow when my brother brings his grinder. Someone welded the shifter to the shift rod...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some of the things I have done is test the rectifier, and it seems good. I tested the coils on the stator and they are all within the right resistance. I tested from ring to ring on the rotor (brushes out), and there is 5 ohms resistance. The only thing that I thought was odd, was the brushes were connected together. The brush with the smaller metal clip was screwed into the top left of the holder (left side of the holder) and the one with the larger clip was on the right side with it screwed into the top left, top right, and bottom right. There was no connection to the bottom left screw. With the brushes out, there is a 36 ohm resistance between the two brush wires. I posted to a mailing list about it and they said they are not supposed to be connected together. So I took them back out and connected it so the left brush (small metal clip) is connected to the bottom left screw (shorter wire, non frame ground), and the right brush is connected like it was before. I put it all back together and tried to start it and it rolled over once and then everything quit. I checked the main fuse and it's blown. (It was not blown previously)...

I have very little experiance and am trying to get as many opinions as I can. Pictures of how the brushes are supposed to screw in would be ideal.

My way of thinking is that the brushes are now correct, but the resistance between the two brush wires indicate a short somewhere... Am I on the right track? I can't get the left side cover off till tomorrow when my brother brings his grinder. Someone welded the shifter to the shift rod...

I assume that you have a separated regulator and rectifier here is a diagram that may help.

startercircuitFinal1-1.jpg

I belive the later electronic regulator/rectifiers are wired slightly different, so that is where the confusion comes in.

did you check your voltage regulator?

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online