Cost of motorcycling

Cynic
This post is 2208 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, little shocked tbh. 

Long storey short, last week discovered that the mk4 Mondeo actually has a hybrid camchain/cambelt thing going on. I thought it was chain like the mk3. Thing is its supposed to be changed well before 125000 or 5 years.

The punch? mine is 150+ and 10 years old. Woah. 

So the tank got parked till i can do the timing belt which will be Saturday and i figured I'd just use the bike full time for a fortnight. Was a bit nippy a couple of times, and very wet on a couple of others but I'm riding the bike, yay. Even though i do need to be up 15min earlier to have time to unlock the garage/bike etc and put all the crap on.

The bit i didn't expect is the bike is using 23quidsworth a week (super unl) plus 2t at a bottle every 2 weeks that adds another 3-4 quid. So that's 28quid a week, or 120 odd a month, that's twice what the Mondeo costs.

I new it used a bit more, and i may go a 'bit' quicker than the car but still.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Filthy smelly gutsy   2 strokes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Filthy smelly gutsy   2 strokes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Great eh.....?

• Haha 1

I just been out to Wray bike night tonight and spent £20 on fuel granted I still have a nearly full tank, but I only did 150 miles

• Like 1

Get yourself an expensive car to run like mine, then the bike seems even better ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drewpy said:

I just been out to Wray bike night tonight and spent £20 on fuel granted I still have a nearly full tank, but I only did 150 miles

That is my weeky work mileage. Thats 2 full tanks of fuel and getting home on fumes with the tdr.

(Up until recently) I used the DT on a 15 mile round trip to work.  I used it or 3 days one week then 4 days following week. (105m every 2 weeks just for work) plus a bit of pottering in between.  I'd get 105~110miles per tank and it cost about £8 to fill up the DT tank every 2 weeks.

Get your DT out instead Cynic....?

(DT175 has a 7 litre tank for those not familar with this little 2 stroke)

• Like 1

My dt is not good on fuel. Come to think about it. None of my bikes have been any good. Could be a common link. I wonder?

Funnily enough i get the best mpg. Like 20miles more from a tank at the yoc weekend:lol:

I got more miles to the gallon  on a trip ,than my mates STreet triple,,, short shifting the 400,  as its got low down torque  [ long stroke]  ?

1YxZTt0.jpg

Your bikes are not good on fuel Cynic?  Then be grateful you don't drive a Stolly to work!!

(Alvis Stalwarts. It's another of my Interests!!! ...I love em!!)

All petrol driven, Rolls Royce 8 cylinder B engine .They only do about 3 to 5 MPG, and if you filled the 100 gallon fuel tank up (450L) will cost you over £550 to do it.! and it will last you up to 500 miles. So at your weekly rate of 150miles you'd have to fill her up every 3 and half weeks!

Alvis_Stalwart_(FV623)_pic1.JPG

Edited by NE0
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NE0 said:

Your bikes are not good on fuel Cynic?  Then be grateful you don't drive a Stolly to work!!

(Alvis Stalwarts. It's another of my Interests!!! ...I love em!!)

All petrol driven, Rolls Royce 8 cylinder B engine .They only do about 3 to 5 MPG, and if you filled the 100 gallon fuel tank up (450L) will cost you over £550 to do it.! and it will last you up to 500 miles. So at your weekly rate of 150miles you'd have to fill her up every 3 and half weeks!

Alvis_Stalwart_(FV623)_pic1.JPG

There is one outside a paintball arena near junction 3 on the m6, always makes me cringe, broken windows etc. Its tied down. Why? Hardly likely to blow over. There is an old jet parked next to it now too. Should have been a tank, something like a Pig. 

Not forgetting i ran a 3.5 v8 landrover (genuine de-mob forward control crate motor in that) 4-8mpg, and a 4.6 range rover. ran them for years. That 4.6  could match the stally for fuel ( more comfy though). Single figures pulling the caravan at best, 12mpg driving like a saint on a long trip solo, that hurts when your doing 300 miles to cornwall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online