2010 YBR 125 Custom chain and rear wheel problems

Barryl
This post is 2189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I’m having some trouble with my bike...

1) When rolling the rear wheel in neutral there’s a “clicking sound” which sort of sounds like it’s coming from the front sprocket. It’s not as bad since I tightened the chain

2) I reduced the slack in my chain because for some reason it was 75mm! I reduced it to 25mm, rode it for about half an hour and checked it again and it had already slackened back to 35mm, which is outside of the range...? (Ok, so 35mm isn’t bad, but surely that isn’t normal?). I made sure everything was fastened up properly after I adjusted the chain.

3) When I go to rotate the rear wheel I can hear a squeaking noise right at the start coming from the rear brake it seems.

4) The rear wheel is a bit “stiff” to turn in neutral. As in, if I turn it by hand it rotates but doesn’t spin multiple times freely on its own after I stop pushing it if that makes sense...

What I tried:

- I don’t think my rear wheel is misaligned, I measured from the swing arm pivot to the rear axle on both sides and it’s perfectly even.

- Tried tightening the chain

- A couple of the bolts holding on the rear sprocket were LOOSE... I torqued them all today and will test ride tomorrow to see if the chain still slackens itself

- Chain is lubed but slightly caked in dirt and grease (nowhere near as bad as it was before, I got a lot off using WD 40 but I’ve ordered some kerosene to soak it in)

- For problem 4), the rear brake definitely isn’t on. I checked the freeplay adjuster nut at the back  

Pictures and videos:

1 - Front sprocket  https://m.imgur.com/a/nM5LOab

2 - Rear sprocket. Notice how one of the retainer washers is snapped, someone has previously put a cable tie on there, presumably to stop it breaking further! https://imgur.com/a/LEuhBJq

2 - Video of free play in the spline thing that the front sprocket sits on 

3 - The clicking noise I’m talking about (it’s not as bad as this anymore but it’s still there)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Barryl

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Holy shit"  that the wrong size front sprocket,   .and when you adjust the chain,  you must back off the rear brake adjuster,  [ as wheel goes back,] thats the squeel, its the brake binding,

Edited by blackhat250

Looks to me like your sprockets are ready fro replacing, they ahve started to "hook" over. That means a new chain needs to be fitted too, as an old chain will quickly fuck up new sprockets. That means you can fit new tab washers to the rear sprocket too. The tabs should be bent up against one of the flats on the hex heads. The axial float in the output shaft isnt ideal but ive seen worse, that may be a major stripdown to cure. As for the chink as the sprocket moves on the spline, something looks amiss ther to me. What holds the sprocket onto the splined shaft? is there no circlip, or bolt and washer to prevcent it from working off the shaft?

That front sprocket dosn"t fit the splines on the outputshaft,   order the correct  model sprocket, . it should fit snuggly on the splines,?