Just bought a DT125!

This post is 6519 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I've just recently bought my first Yamaha.. Its a dt125 -86. I therefore just regged an account here =)

Overall I am very pleased with the bike, I think it runs really well as I have only driven some old Mopeds earlier

There are however a few small wonderings I have about the machine..

1. The prev. owner claimed that the modelyear is 86 (wich is also said in the Registration papers) but the engine was exchanged to a -89! Is there someway to check if this is true? and are there big differences between 86 and 89 engines that may cause problems when I need spare parts?

2. I have driven a total of about 50km and the last time i drove it I notised that the Oil-lamp was lighted. I checked the 2-stroke oil, and sure it wasn't full, but I estimate it enough.. then I checked the screw near the kickstarter, wich I thought was an oil-stick for gear-box oil =P and when not really understaning why there was an Screw there i tried to screw it back in. But the threads had been kind of destroyed, so i dont get it to fit back in as it should. only half of the screw or something..

Anyway I drove about 2km home. After that i´ve discovered that the oillamp is lighted for the first minute or so after i've started the bike.. havn't driven it much more so i cant say if it lightens again after a period of driving, but i dont think (hope) so =).

Is it normal for the oillamp to light up for a time some times? (e.g. when its just started) if not what can the problem be?

well, well besides from above there are no problems with the bike.. i'm quite pleased with it!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum HellRaiser

Check all your fluid levels.....especially the 2-Stroke oil (resevoir)......might just be all that's making that light come on? ;)

:welcome: to the forum HellRaiser

Check all your fluid levels.....especially the 2-Stroke oil (resevoir)......might just be all that's making that light come on? ;)

Thanks for the quick answer!

Ok, I'll try filling up the 2stroke oil, but are there any more fluids on the bike than that and the cooling-fluid? (hm, is that the english word? :P)

What exactly does that lamp react to?is it multifunctional in some way or is it connected directly in the reservoir? in that case it's clear what the problem is.. after 10 owners through years I don´t have the instruction book <_<

I think the lamps usually react to the Oil LEVEL in the crankcase....so that might be a good place to check 1st ;)

Ok, now i've been to my local yamaha-center and they didn't know all to much about this stuff... The problem is that i don't know weather the oil-plug should be for the -86 or -89 model =/ Is there someway to figure out wich one to order besides from engine-numbers or simply trying the plug?

the problem is that a prev. owner has exchanged the engine and didnt really know from wich year it was :huh:

• 2 months later...

I have a '79 DT175 with less than 3000 miles on it; the oil light is always on when the bike is running, until I put it in gear...always been that way. Everything else works fine. Hope I helped.

Hello, I've just recently bought my first Yamaha.. Its a dt125 -86. I therefore just regged an account here =)

Overall I am very pleased with the bike, I think it runs really well as I have only driven some old Mopeds earlier

1. The prev. owner claimed that the modelyear is 86 (wich is also said in the Registration papers) but the engine was exchanged to a -89! Is there someway to check if this is true? and are there big differences between 86 and 89 engines that may cause problems when I need spare parts?

2. I have driven a total of about 50km and the last time i drove it I notised that the Oil-lamp was lighted. I checked the 2-stroke oil, and sure it wasn't full, but I estimate it enough.. then I checked the screw near the kickstarter, wich I thought was an oil-stick for gear-box oil =P and when not really understaning why there was an Screw there i tried to screw it back in. But the threads had been kind of destroyed, so i dont get it to fit back in as it should. only half of the screw or something..

Anyway I drove about 2km home. After that i´ve discovered that the oillamp is lighted for the first minute or so after i've started the bike.. havn't driven it much more so i cant say if it lightens again after a period of driving, but i dont think (hope) so =).

Is it normal for the oillamp to light up for a time some times? (e.g. when its just started) if not what can the problem be?

well, well besides from above there are no problems with the bike.. i'm quite pleased with it!

hi, i have a dt250 1981 and the oil light is on until i put it in gear

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just checked the DT125/175MX owners handbook. It says that the oil light should come on when the bike is in neutral as a test that it is functioning. It should go out when it is put into gear.

Hope this helps

Doug

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online