Tiny vin on the tiny bike

Thatguyshaun
This post is 2273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! 

New guy here, Ive been told to join by my Yamaha dealer......he said you all may be able to help. This is the first port of call other than usual Google trawling to no avail. 

I have a indulged myself with a new project (supposed to be over the winter but now for the summer). I've had a few bikes in the past but this is by far my favourite! It is a qt50. Tiny little moped, 50cc 2 stroke, single sided shaft drive. Bulletproof reliability and slow as fuck. I love it to bits. 

The problem Is, its been bought on a whim and the v5 vin lined up with the sticker on the painted over frame. Engine number was different (swapped engine at some point, no problem). Upon sanding, removing paint I realised the frame number stamped on the headstock is in fact the same as the engine number. Essentially the v5 is for another bike.

Is there any way I can get info from a vin number only? It's the small vin, 9 digit. Vin decoders online spew their load when I enter it. Yamaha dealer is an expert on fuckall really. Just trying to find out the date of the bike and if it is in fact legit or stolen? I doubt its stolen really as it would make no sense to sell on. I' thinking the person years ago just transferrd their plate and v5 over to another qt50 when the original packed in or was crashed or something along those lines. 

Ideally someone could help as this is my pride n joy and the restoration is at a standstill just now! 

Please help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
14 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

It be stolen   - ringer,,,,:rolleyes:

Yep, that's what I thought. Adds extra spice.... looking over my shoulder for the police at every turn, checking the sky for choppers and all that. Living on the run basically like a hardened criminal on the shittest getaway bike lol probably not stolen, more like a parts bike that's been in better nick than the original so the guy just switched over the plate and adopted that one. 

I had a look over that pdf, thanks very much! Found the vin prefix but the range did not include my numbers. I need to figure out how the numbers are sequenced as the year goes up along side the numerical part.

Vin is 5f3-034696 if that makes any sense? It's a QT50 but European version is an MA50. 

Its hardly a NR750, if it really worries you replace the frame, their not expensive. OR! Powder coat the fucker to within an inch of its life and replace the vin with a nice shiny fresh one and nobody will know. ;)

Except us.........<_<

We know the truth, and hold the power, MWAHH HA HA HAAAAAA   :bootyshake::whip:

Er, was that out loud......?