Yamaha R3 suitable as first bike?

Jamieking86
This post is 2301 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I haven't passed my CBT test yet but hoping to in the next month or 2. I'm researching a good bike as my first one, and the Yamaha R3 has come up quite a lot. Originally i was thinking the Ninja 250 or 300 but after researching I've read their very uncomfortable. I am a short guy at 5 foot 3 and I'm looking for something suitable for my height. Any suggesstions would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice bike, but ( and many may disagree) as a first bike id go for something second hand that wont lose cost you so much if you deck it, and would be a darned sight cheaper to insure, and likely be a darned sight less attractive to thieving bastards. Use it to hone your everyday riding skills and gain confidence, and build up basic maintainence knowledge. Alot of bikes can be lowered via the rear suspension link and mounts

A few people have said the same thing so not everyone disagrees, but the truth is I have my heart set so much on an R3. I love everything about them, the sporty look, the colours, it seems low enough for a dwarf like myself ;-) I have booked my CBT course for next week, so I have decided to see how i do, if I'm quite confident (but not over confident) I am going to go straight for the R3 as i would be planning to have it for a good few years before upgrading, if I'm useless and think i have to learn a lot more before going on the bigger bikes I'm going to get a 125 to practice on to learn everything I can.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online