'79 Yamaha XS400 twin, need info please

stillwater
This post is 2297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

'79 XS400 twin

I just got this Yamaha in a trade, told it ran good when parked, needs TLC
I like the bike, and am taking steps to make it dependable to ride next year. And a little more power if possible. Turbo, maybe? 

OK, so first of all I got a replacement fuse box/wiring harness on ebay.
The old fuse box had previous issues, so their friend wired everything direct, around the fuse box. (thus the new harness!) My idea, I'm not riding a direct wired bike anywhere lol.
Also managed to find new exhaust on ebay. Original was getting very rusty up front. Been a while since I've owned a motorcycle but divorced and looking to do a lot of riding now.

Any tips/help/ideas, discussion is appreciated. Thanks, John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: John
There was a turbo'd xs400 that ran in sprints down sarth of england.

No idea where you live, you need to fill in your profile otherwise we could recommend US sites and you live in UK

Hi drewpy,

Cool to know someone else has turbo'd one...there's a fellow here locally who turbo'd an old Ford Model A.

Really surprised me to see that...Would like to see a pic of your XS400 sometime.

I found a new wiring harness on Ebay, got it yesterday. New, still in the package. And Exhaust is on the way. Bike has sat for a while, pipes very rusty in front.

Only thing not stock, is the speedo/tach. Would like to replace those @ some point but not just yet. Found a set on Ebay but can't bring myself to spend $175, plus $30 for the mount, plus shipping. I'll keep looking.

Already posted there first, nothing going there either. Looks like the search is on...

Still better than the one-off ironhead Sportster build I just sold, never could sort that thing out. The buyer can't either.

It's a one-off creation that a "friend" guided me through, that failed badly. Just glad it's not my headache anymore lol..

• 1 month later...

Wow man, that motorcycle is all about it!

Flat out fast ride I bet...

Nice Job. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online