Questions and problems about my new 1997 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

Niklasjonsson98
This post is 2476 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! I just bought a 1997 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion. I bought it used obviously. When i went to look at it before i bought it everything worked. He said it had been standing for a while, like a couple of months i think. It was a bit tricky to turn the ignition but i figured it out and it worked. We probably turned it on and off 3-4 times and it worked. When i got home and tried to turn the ignition it was as said a bit tricky but it worked, it started and the lights worked no problem and i could drive it.

Then it all went south when I removed the front fearing. I removed the front fearing(front lights, front signals, gauges, some cable from the gauge thing to the front brake??). I was going to switch it out to make it more of a naked bike. I connected the other signals and headlight i got. Now when i turned the ignition to "On" to test the lights nothing really worked the way it was supposed to. The headlight didn't work at all and the signals were just weird, either they were constantly on at like half power, or they weren't on at all. After a while the back signals also stopped working(these worked perfectly in the beginning). I tried to switch around the wires with the two front signals just to see if I did something wrong. No result. After a while nothing at all was glowing. No light worked. i tried setting up all the old stuff again, all the lights gauges and everything but it still did not work, it was the same problem. The neutral light lit up but that is it.

Then i was like, I'll try to start the bike. I could only turn to the "on" position. It was impossible to get to "ignition". I tried so many times for like 20-30 min. It felt like I was going to snap the key in half.

I looked at the fuses and they seemed fine. I tried to check the battery with a voltmeter. Not sure how I am supposed to do this, never worked with motorvehicles before. But i took neg to neg and pos to pos, and got no real result.(could not start the bike so couldn't check with it started, don't know if that makes a difference) It first said 11v, then 10v, then 8v, then 6v, it didn't go down as i held the meter there but when i took it off and then back on again the value changed. So my guess is the battery is ruined, but should that make it impossible to turn the ignition?

Would be really thankful if anyone could help me, this is my first bike and i really want it to work. Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to hear about your problems Niklas, you know "nothing about motor vehicles" but decided to jump right in and strip the front off of your bike..! Brave mate really brave. Can I make a small request first tho? pop over to the "new members section and say "hello" you WILL get more replies if you say Hello. Oh one other thing, fill in your profile, it makes it easier to answer questions if we know where you are as there's no point in telling you about a great bloke that can help in Birmingham if you live in Timbuctoo. Just sayin..! 

Haha thanks! I have somewhat theoretical knowledge I have just never actually done anything. But I actually got it working and it's fine now. The battery was as I suspected completely ruined and i bought a new one, and fixed with the wiring so now it works! About the profile thing, yeah as soon as i made this profile i just wanted to get the questions out there but i will fix that, thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online