2011 Yamaha Fz6r downshifting issues

Chiizzy
This post is 2493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Today I was out riding most of the day. Not a single problem. Besides the usual driver you have to swerve for because they've never heard of checking their blind spots. 

Coming home though, as I came down the freeway off-ramp, downshifting to 4th.. Was fine. Then 3rd.. fine. Then 2nd.. Hang on. Clutch pulled in and I'm pressing down on the gear shift lever and nothing. My foot is just moving up and down. No click, no gear engaging. Wth. I accelerated a bit more and squeezed the clutch back in but nothing. I tapped my foot a few times and it was just freely bouncing up and down. I eventually got it into 2nd then pulled up and it wouldn't get into 1st. Same issue.. 

When I did eventually get it into 1st, I was able to take off and upshifting was perfectly fine. Until I came to a set of lights and it yet again wouldn't go into 2nd.. I managed to with a series of releasing clutch and accelerating slightly more, get it into gear. Eventually got home doing 3rd up the driveway until I could stop and wiggle it back into neutral. 

But I'm puzzled. I'm not too mechanically minded when it comes to transmissions but does anyone have an idea what it COULD be? The fact that all of a sudden I just couldn't engage 2nd or 1st without multiple attempts and that the gear lever with clutch pulled in, just freely moves up and down without catching anything has me slightly worried.. It's my only mode of transport. And I can't take off in 3rd from the lights. Just not going to happen. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Chizzy, just a question mate, how many miles has it done? and is it serviced regularly? It sounds like you might have a gear selector problem but just guessing really as we don't know anything about your bike other than it seems to be having problems going into gear. Usually this happens when the gear selector wears but if it goes into the higher gears and not the lower gears then I'm leaning towards a worn selector, not the end of the world but if it is that then your looking at a gearbox rebuild..! Sometimes the selector will just break off at the joint and it's an easy fix. Look at the diagram and it's number 23 and 25 the gear selector fork. This is just a "best guess" with the info you have supplied might NOT be that at all..! This is NOT a diagram of your bikes selector just a generic one from Google!

Image result for motorcycle gear selector

Clutch drag would be my first guess.

Check the clutch is adjusted properly. The clutch drag will keep load on the gears on the down shift holding them in place.

Do the gears select ok with the motor turned off.

Yep that's another good thought, clutch drag would make it difficult to get a gear, try turning the back wheel while using the gear lever especially in the lower gears.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online