dt175mx top end rebuild

suz250gsrider
This post is 2470 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

A quck intro to you guys on here. Im mark from Teesside uk England.

I own a gixxer 750 gs550 gs250t and a dt175mx so I like my bikes so I do.

The dt is getting a top end rebuild.

Engine builders recommend the following for help seating the rings.

Do I assemble piston dry and run on mineral 2 stroke oil and also do I run it hard to seat the rings in the first hr riding.

This advice is given on other forums which is the opposite to what ive done over the years.

years ago I would run on semi syth oil and lube the piston upon assembly and run it in for 500 miles.

Please advise

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry but that is all complete bollocks. Yes it may apply to a hi tune, bored and stroked bonkers racer.

For a dt175 designed to run in the worst of conditions it is a total waste of effort and cash. I have stood mine on the back wheel to drain out the water before cleaning the plug and riding on along the trail after misjudging a watercrossing. Yes i got as wet as the bike.

Lube the rings with 2stroke oil when you put it together.

Ride 10miles or so to make sure nothing falls off. Check her over. Ride normally. Simple.

Only things that  worth time. Check the ports have been chamferd after the bore as that wears rings badly also. Make sure the head and barrel faces are true and the head studs are sound. Not uncommon for the studs to come lose. That can affect the head.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online