My R6 keeps cutting out

Robbie
This post is 5438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys started having major problems with the beast.

Basically she cuts out when slowing down to a stop (when you are at junctions). As i come through the gears it is alright but as soon as i go into first gear and get below 4k rmp all of a sudden the revs go and she cuts out. Yesterday she was difficult to start again but today it was easier. Only difference is a new tank of fuel.

Sometimes when moving off from a stand still she is really bubbly aswell.

Anyone got any ideas, it is getting bloody annoying and somewhat dangerous as it has cut out in traffic in rush hour.

Thanks

Robbie

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Robbie

I have quite a similar problem! Bike is perfect when at speed (or above 2nd gear with revs on) but drop to low revs in 2nd or 1st gear and the revs plummet before she she pink, pink, pinks and then cuts out. Flippin dangerous (as well as embarrassing) when I pull up to the traffic lights after navigating up the white line between about 20 cars :D

Wonder is it related to the engine ticking over switch?? Does anyone know if you can adjust this manually without upseting anything? If so, where abouts is it? My train of thought was that if idling speed was little higher, then dipping below it would still be within the engine ticking over 'comfort zone'.

Anyone any ideas? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie

I have quite a similar problem! Bike is perfect when at speed (or above 2nd gear with revs on) but drop to low revs in 2nd or 1st gear and the revs plummet before she she pink, pink, pinks and then cuts out. Flippin dangerous (as well as embarrassing) when I pull up to the traffic lights after navigating up the white line between about 20 cars :D

Wonder is it related to the engine ticking over switch?? Does anyone know if you can adjust this manually without upseting anything? If so, where abouts is it? My train of thought was that if idling speed was little higher, then dipping below it would still be within the engine ticking over 'comfort zone'.

Anyone any ideas? :unsure:

Hi,

Sorry for not replying in A WHILE NO INTERNET. I think that the problem on my bike was caused by the fact I use a steam cleaner to clean my bike. This means that water gets forced into the coils and pisses wuith the low speed engine timing. If this isnt the case apparently some R6's have problems with the coils actually breaking down. Other than that check for fuelling issues.

Regards

Thanks Robbie

I use a garden hose to wash my bike, but it probably still gets in round the bits it shouldn't!! I will check out your advice about the coils.

I adjusted the timing screw above the oil filler cap a couple of days ago. As yet it seems to be running OK...but thats the problem..the fault is intermittent. If the timing solves it permanently, I will leave a note in the forum.

All the best.

• 2 years later...

hi lads sry this not about the r6 prob . i have a 1995 fzr foxeye and when im ridin along and give a little throttle the bike cuts out for a sec and jerks, and twice its cut out and stopped then restarted right away,, im thinking a wirin prob or carb its not cdi so any help please , on sunday i went up to kirby bridge and it stutterd and i was mid bend and i was luky not to lose it thank you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online