2000 yamaha roadstar clutch wont disengage

notahappycamper
This post is 2565 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently bought a "running" roadstar. had to replace the main relay, the starter relay and tear apart and clean the carburetor. got it running great went to take it for a spin and it stalled when I put it first gear. whats up with it and how do I fix it without replacing the clutch. the bike has 3452 actual miles and was stored the last 2 years.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok there's your problem. It was stored for 2 years, if you don't use the clutch for long periods then it will stick, one way of getting it to free up is to rev it up and drop it in gear with the brakes on, that can break the "stiction" that has occurred or you can take the side panel off the engine and remove the clutch and take the clutch plates out oil them and re-build it. That's the best option as revving it's nuts off and banging it in gear can damage the box if it's really stuck. All bikes need to be used on a regular basis or this sort of thing can happen, also rubbers and gaskets can get crusty if not used. as the bike only has a few thousand miles on it you will not have to replace anything just re-build it. Do you have the manual? cos without that your in for a long frustrating couple of days doing the wrong stuff, most bikes can have the clutch side panel off without draining the oil if it's on the side stand but you need the manual to tell you what not to take off.

Where are you in the world? as someone may be nearby and willing to help..! That's why you should fill in your profile.

Also please say Hello in the new members section it helps with folks knowing your not just here for advice then bugger off till you need advice again. Next time they might just ignore you..!

Hello anyone there? Nice if you say thanks..! Or anything really. Ok next time MAYBE?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online