Battery not charging but all lights work

DT RE Chris
This post is 2594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Electrics are not my thing, I have a 2stroke moped i'm going to be working on and the battery drains after a few days, new battery, it charges fine from the mains, its ridden every day so should get a decent charge, all the lights work fine when running its just not topping up the battery?

I have a multimeter, what things should I be checking for when I get it? obviously output from stator and checking the voltage at the battery when running but apart from that my knowledge is limited,  I would have thought if the lights work then surely the power has to go thru the battery first? therefor it should be charging?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you said check it's charging across the terminals when it's running, you might have a short or loose connection tho, best to start with the battery terminals and work back to the ignition. Don't forget the main earth wire see if it's corroded or broken.

It might just be a small electrical fault but check to see if anything has been added to the bike, for instance does it have an alarm have they fitted extra lights. Some folks bung all sorts of extras on their bike and some of these things affect the electrics by being "ON" all the time when most extras should be added through the ignition so they don't drain the battery when it's turned off. Just a thought.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online