My 1986 FZ750

andrewed1
This post is 2523 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

2 post in one

27/3/2017

Hi All,

I have just been given a bike and its an FZ750 i am planning on trying to get it running as it has sat in a shed for 17 years,, i do like a challenge, though i will need help.

The good -- Has compression and all parts attached  it a complete bike
The bad -- has not run for 17 years & radiator core is broken

This weekend i pulled the tank and splashed some fuel down the carbs, hooked up the car battery (not running) and hit the starter. engine turning over but not cranking. it sounded like the starter was spinning so pulled the alternator and then the starter and check the starter gears teeth, All good all there (relief :)).

I then splashed some more and just let it turn over for a while soon enough it start ti=o turn and in fact did kick a little (big smile). at that moment i connected an ancillary tank (plastic bottle of fuel) connected it to the carbs and hit the starter. At this point the carbs spat the fuel back at me fro the 1st air vent tube from the left side. NO matter what i did the carbs squirted out the air vent tube... so now with a flat car battery and a sad face :( i called it a day and looked on line for some answers. So with some research and found that this happens with old carbs as all the internals stick and the carbs flood very easily.

The next morning stripped the carbs of the bike cleaned with some degreaser, and removed the float bowls expecting to see sticking floats and grime. really it was pretty  clean (possible to all the fuel that has recently went through it.. I then continued with stripping the carbs floats and diaphragm's and the other internals, Needle and seat etc, and let them soak in kerosene to remove all grime (i chose kerosene as it is safe on the o-rings), and the body went in the tub of degreaser for a longer bath.

This is where i am currently at...

1. Drained oil heavy smell of gas, and refilled with new oil

2. Removed Radiator as to get to the Sparks plugs (there must be an easier way)

3. Unfortunately all 4 Diaphragms had small holes so got some Gasket sealant Oil and Gas resistant flexible stuff, and used a paint brush to applied it on both sides (youtube). now carbs work perfectly,,,

4. Still spins and cranks/sometimes but more spinning than cranking need to sort this out..

:(

32943680912_2a97339aae.jpg

xxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

21/05/2017

Well, have had some free time of late and have been able to play with this project bike a little more.

I been trying to free up the starter clutch as I have read and been told that some time theses can stick, and slip causing what I have been experiencing when starting.

So today I drained the oil and forced pumped in the oil via the starter motor hole and then tried to start it again unfortunately without and real success. Told my self that the only way is now to pull it have have a look. so today I set out to remove the engine.

I have been told this was possible with one person and completed by myself quite easy with my trolley, Car stand and Jack and a little time to check things...  :)  

Preparing the bike - Removing the bits and pieces and then the Engine.....
34756205506_4afa42028d.jpg

34796522535_9a6ccd65ec.jpg

33987031653_1387c84b80.jpg

34663560941_0d37032abb.jpg

34796528435_d6eecac88c.jpg

34410408300_c3bc202876.jpg

34410411290_0b54c3b8e4.jpg
33953552664_bbc59a1c95.jpg
34634037632_f5c68cf7ca.jpg

Now,, The fun will begin, time to open it up........ :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You folk down in Aus are soooo lucky with climate, that would have rotted to nothing by now in the uk.

I like these old 750's. Would have one myself if I ever  had time/space/wife permission/money (delete as applicable) good luck with it.

Yip,   top end rebuild ,and  carb refurb,  and she"l go,  B)  cant get over the degree angle of there old Fz"s 

32 minutes ago, neversaydie said:

Am I the only bloke in the world never to have been "given" a bike?

nope

Not me...! FFS. Oh hang on, my brother gave me my Fanny Barnett when he turned 17, so yeah you and Drewpy are the only ones NSD.  :lol:

• Like 1

I was given a push bike when I was twelve but that doesn't really count or does it ?

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, slice said:

Not me...! FFS. Oh hang on, my brother gave me my Fanny Barnett when he turned 17, so yeah you and Drewpy are the only ones NSD.  :lol:

No Slice Oltimer gave Drewpy his Fz. l got given a Honda 50 by mate and I loved if till some little toerag stole it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online