Petrol cock too big!

James Henry
This post is 2536 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just stripped and cleaned my petrol tap, and replaced the gaskets. The main fuel pipe up into the tank is very long reaching possibly halfway up the tank. It occurs to me that when I'm just below half a tank fuel wouldn't be 'going down the tube' so to speak. I've had instances of engine fade before now and swapped to reserve which cures the problem (it would appear). Should I cut it down so the bottom is level with the top of the reserve pipe? The bike is a Yamaha Dragstar 125 xvs. 

Pet cock2.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't cut the pipe. It's fulfilling its purpose. If you cut them off level you'll never know when you need fuel until it conks out, except you won't have a reserve to fall back on. It's all in the name really.....

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Hi Finnerz. Not proposing to cut down the main pipe to the same level as the reserve, just enough so that the bottom of the main pipe filter is level with the top of the reserve pipe filter, i.e. still staggered. My previous explanation wasn't the best!

pipe.jpg

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online