help needed

chriskhalifa1234
This post is 2512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so i went out yesterday for a ride i coverd roughly 20 miles and started experiencing problems,

first at a set of lights i go to pull off then it splutters and dies forcing me to take it to the curb,i kicked it a few times and got it going again but i got halfway down the road and in 3rd it does the same as it did at the lights,splutters down and conks out

i get it home after a few more times this happening,

put the bike away for the noght and decide to have a look today,i get it started and take it for a little ride today it seems as it has no power so i look it over while ticking over,theres a crack in the exhaust,also inside the silencer the tube is loose so im guessing a new exhaust is on the cards,but would the exhaust cause the bike to splutter out or is there another problem,?

im convinced myself its something fuel related but the carb was cleaned about 2/3 weeks ago so im struggling to think what else it could be

any help would be massively appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

crap in the fuel, did you fit an inline filter?

Bad exhaust will cause a 2stroke all kinds of trouble.

• Like 1

no inline filter but prior to mot the fuel was in tank id say about six months sat and didnt get flushed so it may be crap in tank like u say drewpy and okay a new exhaust is on the cards unless i get fed up and decide to sell lol

it might be water in the fuel. ethanol attracts water which sinks to the bottom.

just open the float drain plug and get rid of the fuel, then top up with fresh and put an inline fuel filter in too

• Like 1

right,fuel has been drained and fresh stuff put in,while i was at it i decided to clean the carb again juat to rule that out,

bike sits and ticks over fine but as soon as i put it in gear it seems to want to bog out,it will fide for a few yards struggle then bog out completely,

banghead: lol

still sounds like a fuel issue.

when you say cleaned carbs you don't mean they look shiney on the outside? (its been known)

maybe your float height needs checking, and did you strip the main jet and emulsion tube and ensured all the miniscule holes are clear?

• Like 1

I had a mate who found a mouse nest in his air box after the bike was laid up..! Just pointing out that it might be something unexpected that's causing your problem. But as Drewpy said carb and fuel are the most likely cause.

• Like 1

a mouse nest haha jheeez

as for the carb i have taken it completely off the bike opend it up and cleaned it all with some tissue roll,

as for checks that was all i done,took it apart cleaned and put back together how do i check the float height but it all seemed clear and spotless before putting bike back together

You need to clean the jets out mate, they have tiny holes drilled in them. My money is on blocked pilot jet. You need some carb cleaner and compressed air

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

tissue roll?

nah, do what finners suggest, also invest in a couple of carb cleaner spray cans, they have quite a high pressure too which helps clear jets.

You also need to take out the fuel jets to clean properly and best practise is to use a ultrasonic cleaner

• Like 1

I'm sure the guys are right in that its the jets but also check fuel filler cap breather, easiest way is see if it runs OK with filler cap slightly open also check any vacuum pipes aren't split or blocked, 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 9:38 PM, drewpy said:

crap in the fuel, did you fit an inline filter?

my thoughts exactly, part blocked fuel line maybe, float chamber cant fill up quick enough, that's why it starts after resting awhile. another thing to check is the filter on the petcock, (fuel tap) if you pull off the fuel pipe from the carb and blow up it with the fuel tap on it will clear for a while, start blowing with the fuel tap shut and open the tap while you are still blowing otherwise you will be enjoying the delites of Esso unleaded.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online