xt250 3y3

This post is 2597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello im Tom iv been restoring an XT 250 3y3 (1983 model)

The bike was in a right mess when I got it and not running, bent forks bent frame, stuck swingarm and notchy headstock bearing.

Stripped it down to the frame, rubbed it down treated it and brush painted it, put all new bushes on swingarm and and did the headstock bearing. Serviced the forks with new oil and seals, trued the wheels and put new tyres on. Tanks been painted.

Changed the oil and checked valve clearances.

Refurbed the Carb with new full kit and cleaned it all off.

Changed the clutch plates and steels as they were dragging serviced the basket which seems to work fine,

Its had new plug and leads. Its running nice all new plastics and re covered the seat.

Only issue I have now is the airbox had been butchered broken and I need to buy a second hand one.

I have looked on ebay and all i can find is one thats in america with masive cost and shipping.

Does anyone have a spare they could sell me from a doner bike.

many thanks or if you know of any breakers that have 3y3 parts it would be much apreciated.

wertwetwe3.jpg

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

good luck with the search for bits, is the air box plastic, if so you might be able to repair by plastic welding any splits or busted off bits, I have fixed a few things quite successfully using an old electric soldering iron, cable tie off cuts as filler rods and bits of old plastic such as paint trays or busted bits of old plastic dust pans, I know it sounds like a right old bodge but it can be a pretty good repair, there are some examples of how to do it on youtube,

• Like 1

Great intro Tom,,,where did you get that Yam  sticker on the rear fender ,,:welcome:

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2017 at 4:42 PM, blackhat250 said:

Great intro Tom,,,where did you get that Yam  sticker on the rear fender ,,:welcome:

Got it off eBay if you type in Yamaha decal red tuning fork it will come up they were 2.99 for two delivered 

Thanks all will have a look at what I can do to fix it and checkout some videos on YouTube 

I expect one will pop up, it's hard to fix things when you don't have a good one to refer to so might wait till I get the new one.

• Like 1