New Yamaha V80 rider and forum person!

This post is 1713 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello forum friends. I've recently purchased a 1984 Yamaha v80 as my first bike and I'm attending motorbike evening classes in the hope to tinker and bring her back to her once former self. 

I rode her to work on Sunday in London Town - about three miles and back, think my top speed was 25mph (I know she can go faster in just still getting used it being on two wheels). But minutes before we reached those heady high speeds she did start to feel a bit sluggish. I got to a mini roundabout and she conked out. I kick started her back straight away and we went onwards. So I'm wondering what I should be looking for? 

Old battery? She was a barn find. 

Ratio of fuel/oil not correct? 

My fuel guage also is on the red so that's why I'm thinking it my need a new battery? But lights work fine. 

Finally i'd love to buy some new faring and also find a class where I can learn how to spray paint so I can clean up the exterior. 

Thanks, Emma. 

P.s the fuel gauge being on red isn't because it's empty! It not. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings Emma, is the red light an indication of low 2 stroke oil level, if it is you must stop riding it and get some 2 stroke oil in there, you'll badly damage the engine!

having said that...you're implying the red light is a fuel warning, I cant comment on whether that's right or not but if there's no other red light on the dash i'm going with oil

• Like 1

:wavey: welcome aboard! Could be gunk in the carb? Is it new fuel?

Hi Airhead and Sasha, thanks for replying. 

Airhead - no red light is on. Just the gauge is stuck at the bottom of the dial and doesn't move. I have petrol and oil in the bike. 

Sasha - haven't topped up any fuel yet as it was given to me full up by the guy who sold it to me. But as it was a barn find, gunk in the carb could be a fair point so thanks for the tip! 

Air filter is clean but it did smell of petrol badly. Don't know if that's connected? 

Cheers! 

Ah well I mis-interpreted your 'Red', never mind...but while we are one on the subject of oil lights

1: is the V80 a 2 stroke..it is isn't it?

2 if it is...is there a red oil warning light available on the dash?

3 Does the red light work when you are in neutral?

It'd be nice to know...it's important ;) 

Hello, there is a red light but no it doesn't come on in neutral, only the green light shows, I've never seen the red light come on yet. I changed my petrol cap to one with a key tonight and I noticed my petrol was actually very low in my tank, so I'm going to fill it up tomorrow and take it for a spin and see if it happens again. So my next question is while my fuel gauge isn't working, how many MPG will I get out of a tank of petrol roughly do you think? 

And yes the V80 is a 2 stroke. It has a separate tank for the oil and it mixes itself. 

\

as for fuel consumption I could only guess about 80mpg?

Normally with Yamaha 2 strokes the oil low level light (red) will come on when in neutral, the absence of this is so you know when the bulb has gone and of course it will come on permanently whether in neutral or in gear if the oil is low...so you might need a new bulb if yours is designed the same way?...better to know now than when it's too late

in a nutshell...the oil level light comes on in neutral as a bulb check feature

Hi,  it didna conk out thru the lack of oil.[  congeled in oil tank thru standing]  I would pre- mix for a tank or two, .till you clean system thru,

making shure it all works, 

• Like 1

Hi again, thanks for the tip about the red light. I didn't know it should come on in neutral so I'll look into that and get it fixed. 

Just gonna be honest here and say I filled it up with petrol today and the gauge worked. So my guess is I drove into town and back on red and that's why I conked out. Embarrassing and I know I didn't need to share but maybe for future newbies out there reading this one day - just fill up the petrol - even if you can see some in the tank. 

My neighbour helped put on new breaks today and changed to a new spark plug. She really is starting to purr and I love riding her so much!! 

He took me on the back of his HONDA CBR 600? Think that's what it is. Yeah it was bloody fast but I think I enjoy my 30mph little tuk tuk even more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oxocube said:

Hi again, thanks for the tip about the red light. I didn't know it should come on in neutral so I'll look into that and get it fixed. 

Just gonna be honest here and say I filled it up with petrol today and the gauge worked. So my guess is I drove into town and back on red and that's why I conked out. Embarrassing and I know I didn't need to share but maybe for future newbies out there reading this one day - just fill up the petrol - even if you can see some in the tank. 

My neighbour helped put on new breaks today and changed to a new spark plug. She really is starting to purr and I love riding her so much!! 

He took me on the back of his HONDA CBR 600? Think that's what it is. Yeah it was bloody fast but I think I enjoy my 30mph little tuk tuk even more. 

I was told a story where a fellows wife pushed her bike home after running out of fuel, maybe a mile or so, wherby the husband pipes up with. "Why not use reserve?", "reserve?" says the wife.......

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • drewpy locked this topic
This post is 1713 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.