Sticky throttle / throttle body

jepacooper
This post is 2610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

G'day all.

The bike: Yamaha XJ6 S diversion none abs 2010. 

The problem:

A few months ago the bike wouldn't start for the first time ever. It had been laid up for about three weeks while I was away. I found that, if I opened the throttle wide there was life so, holding the throttle wide open at the grip  i gave the electric start button the beans. It started. Woohoo moment.But, it ran rough for the first few minutes and then settled in to  a fast idle (usually idles at just a shade over 1k rpm, now it's 1.5k)

Thinking it could be a failed cable (I had just wound it open heavily) I replaced both, checked that the grip wasn't snagging (it's not, when not connect to the throttle body it's very free). Having replaced the cables, the throttle body return spring and plastic washer the problem still remains. At this point, when the bike is cold I can twist the throttle and expect it to return reliably. When the bike warms up to even a few degrees from cold the throttle sticks once more. It can stick when you rotate it up to the limiter or return to any where in between but never fully closed.

When I remove the side panels and manually twist the throttle at the body where the cables normally do their job I can feel a reluctance to drop back fully and you have to push it back those last few milli meters  I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to remove the throttle bodies for inspection. I have the haynes manual and will wait for summer (no working garage). I've bought a spare body from ebay and it has no snagging issues but of course, who knows what other issues the ebay body might have that I don't know about (plus the re balancing that no doubt I'll have to do as well).

My question is this. Is there anything that could cause this that I could check / replace without having to remove the bodies? I dread having to remove the tank/air box and then tackle getting those bodies off.

Regards...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On cars the build up of carbon deposits on the butterfly valve would cause this...the cure was a can of carb cleaner sprayed down into the body to soften it all up,then run it and heyho! problem solved....might work for bikes too?