XJ600 rear twitching and skipping and making me twitch!!

@ndy
This post is 2593 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The old 91 XJ (pre diviersion) has been off the road for a few months, re commissioned it about a fortnight ago.. Lots of the regular brakes and clutch as well as cables to free up. I also found a cracked link in a very low mileage chain (really pleased I found it before riding!!) but that's another story.

I was dismayed to find on a couple of occasions, pulling off from junctions and at traffic lights that I was losing the back end on really quite slow corners. at first I put this down to me having a break from riding and losing my touch... It happened on wet roads and I was thinking, maybe a patch of diesel, maybe some other slippery surface, but today it occurred on a slightly faster bend in the industrial estate, on a dry road with reasonably good surface. The back end seemed to just do it's own thing and I felt it was quite hard work to keep it on my side of the road and out of the path of oncoming traffic! not what you want. I did have shopping in the top-box and panniers, having just been to Aldi, but I have done "full week" shops before with a big bag strapped on the pillion without encountering any near death experiences.... So I have investigated the bike further. looked for play on wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and head bearings; checked tire pressures and condition (near new they are). Checked tyres correctly up on rims... Dropped the bike off the main stand (don't use the main stand much) and noticed it "bounced" I bounced it a bit more and it kept on bouncing! 

I therefore conclude that the shock is shot!! and assume that is the cause of my problems. This is the first mono shock bike that I have ever owned and I must say I'm not a fan... having said that, it is possible that the shock has been on its way out ever since I had the bike! (2 years)

Quite happy with stripping the suspension and replacing it, but the cost!! a new one is serious open wallet surgery, and I'm not to sure about used ones from ebay, they are going to be the same age and more than likely the same sorry condition. I did notice some after market ones were also listed as fitting RD 350 LC. anyone know if these are the same, or any others that would fit. are the diversion ones the same (they look it) as this would offer more choice and they seem to be more plentiful. I may also be able to get a much "younger" used one.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes think you're on the money with the fault and it might be right that rd might fit, but I would imagine that the damping would be different as rd will weigh about 50% lighter than your bike, their are companies out there that can rebuild you're old shock which I think is the route I'd take.

• Like 1

Thanks, you may be right about the rebuild route being best, have considered this. My problem is I need it on the road, MOT due the end of the week too! a rebuild is going to be weeks to turn around. I need a fix that can be tap my card number into the computer and a box arrives in a day or two really. Been looking at later model XJs too. they are likely to be more "similar" than the RD. similar in weight at least. Unfortunately no one listing them on ebay is giving details such as length eye to eye.

Anyone know if a diversion shock will fit a late model pre diversion by any chance?

Dont see you have many options.

Primary concern given your time available is getting the old one out. 

Other than that roll the dice for a 50 quid used unit on the bay of theives and get your unit rebuilt.

That is the most economical way i can see round it.

Or jump straight in with something like a hagon unit straight off the shelf.

By all means try looking for ANYTHING tagged with RD350 that isnt massively inflated pricewise. 

You talk like the bike is main transport. If so you cannot faf about seeing what may or may not fit if the mot is so close. You need something as critical as a rear shock to work.

Like tyres. 

Yes as above if you need to use your bike every day then your going to have to jump in and get it sorted ASAP. Best advice is buy one that fits, use it till your old one is sorted, if it can be, some can't, then flog on the replacement. Hagon will refurb their own shocks but not anyone else's so just look for a general refurb service and see what you can find out there.

These guys seem to do all sorts of shocks for Yams, http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motorcycle-shock-absorbers.html?color=208

Not recommending them just pointing out you can find someone to do the job for you.

• Like 1

using a shock from a different bike won't suit your bike withoput mods.

the ratio on the linkages are diferent as newer bikes have lighter springs than the pre divvy.

I got an R6 shock converted for my FZ600 and had to put the strongest spring available for it as well as a revalve which takes time.

go for a hagon and you know it will last

http://www.bits4motorbikes.co.uk/Hagon/Hagon-Monoshock.html?ID=1120

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online