Speedo has cracked! Can I replace and match the mileage?

martynball
This post is 2621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, my speed screen, and case has cracked, quite a large crack too... I believe it's due to cold weather and getting warm really quick, but 3 bike workshops I have been say that the plastic is too thick for the weather to crack. 

However, there are no signs of an object hitting it, and it doesn't make sense, if you wanted to damage a bike you'd push it over, not punch a hard to reach piece of plastic. 

Anyhow, can I buy a second hand speedo and get an approved Yamaha dealer to change the mileage to match my current, or can I do it myself? 

They are like £400 new! And i'm selling the bike soon... found second hand ones though for around £40, but the mileage is on like 20,000 where as my bike has only done 4500. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Prob better to leave it cracked.

Nobody 'should' be able to change the mileage, you just record the change. Keep the original as evidence with relevant mot's to back it up.

• Like 1

Won't it eventually break due to water maybe getting in? I had tried to superglue but doubt it will last forever. Was going to call Yamaha see what they suggest, they do sell the part new, so you'd think maybe an approved dealer could replace it and set the millage the same? So you'd think anyway as things can break haha

They will fit a new one at whatever miles and that's it, doing anything else is illegal. The mileage may be stored in the bikes brain instead of the dash possibly. Thereby correcting its self as its fitted. Dunno.

Well someone said that the mileage is usually stored somewhere other than in the clock, but people are advertising the speedo's with the miles displayed so maybe with this one it's stocked in the speedo, i dunno. Probably best call Yamaha tomorrow? 

If its digital,  they can be reset.  I mean  I know lease cars,  being reset before theyre handed back[ penaltys],  guy with laptop, £100.

so anthin Can be done,

Hi

as a temp repair I would buy a, Tablet plastic film screen protector and cut out the shape to fit the total area of the screen, then if the screen is clean and still has a smooth flat surface

the plastic flim hopfully will prevent moisture from getting into it,

• Like 1