MT01 - hit or miss?

phatMT01
This post is 6261 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been looking at getting an MT-01, after all... it LOOKS and SOUNDS fantastic!!!

I ended up taking a demo out (with stage 1 exhaust upgrade).

My first impression of the massive throbbing V-twin was similiar to riding a cattle grid! (fun at first). Also, the torque was emense, to the point i was gripping on with my knees to rest my wrists as i attempted to 'gently' ride through stationary traffic (wasn't til i remebered I had a clutch, which again was quite an odd sensation, but the only way to stop to popping-engine-lunge).

The ride lasted 20-30mins and by the end of it, I was a little concerned about my internal organs (i rode moto-x up til my mid-twenties and was temped to grab my kidney belt for further rides :D ), although i did feel that i was starting to 'understand' the bike and how it needed to be ridden (rev range-for comfort / clutch control).

As far as i can work out, these seem to have the fuel economy of a car? can anyone confirm this?

I also phoned a few dealers -(market research shall we say) in view of selling a mock standard (no akrapovic exhaust) October 2005 (55) MT01 with 150miles on the clock. The response I recieved was that they're not selling all that well, so only a handful were even interested in buying back, for a starting price of £5,000!!! maxing out to below £6,000!!!!! (OUCH!)

Has anyone experienced the STAGE 2 or STAGE 3 kits on these monsters?? they are classed: 'for track use only', are they worth looking into? comfortable to ride?

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just incase anyone was interested, I bought one, with a full stage 2 plus Carbon Fibre kit............ and its AMAZING!!!!...... I LOVE IT!!!!

although it only does 110 miles to a tank of fuel (£10) but hey!! wtf, its worth every penny!!!!!! :D

I just can't stop smiling!!!!

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

Just incase anyone was interested, I bought one, with a full stage 2 plus Carbon Fibre kit............ and its AMAZING!!!!...... I LOVE IT!!!!

although it only does 110 miles to a tank of fuel (£10) but hey!! wtf, its worth every penny!!!!!! :D

I was wondering, but not anymore :D . Nice with one more in the MT family. I drove one for some miles and the motor is the BIG thing with that bike. After driving the MT-03 I thought it to big for my liking (the distance from seat to handlebar ) but it feels very agile for a BIG bike like that.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tantalus

:P Absolutely a hit if you ask me.

I'm due to pick mine up on the 1st Sept on a 56 plate (Deep Armour Colour). As well as the now free Akropovic Exhaust & fly screen, I managed to get a further £450 off an £8999 asking price, a £3k trade in for my bike, a full Thatcham MC2 to MC1 Alarm system upgrade (the YM600), a Scottoiler and an optimate connection all installed for when I pick it up.

It's just a pity the accessories are so bloody expensive as I'd love to have the carbon air intakes as well..

B) Anyway, I'm looking forward to being probably the only MT-01 rider in the Kingdom of Fife..

I'm due to pick mine up on the 1st Sept on a 56 plate (Deep Armour Colour). As well as the now free Akropovic Exhaust & fly screen, I managed to get a further £450 off an £8999 asking price, a £3k trade in for my bike, a full Thatcham MC2 to MC1 Alarm system upgrade (the YM600), a Scottoiler and an optimate connection all installed for when I pick it up.

It's just a pity the accessories are so bloody expensive as I'd love to have the carbon air intakes as well..

B) Anyway, I'm looking forward to being probably the only MT-01 rider in the Kingdom of Fife..

I also thought about taking the demo bike out. It sounds interesting...

Guest Tantalus

I wrote a letter to Yamaha Motors (uk) asking if I might use the MT logo on the back of my refelective waiscoat and did they have a hi-res graphic I could use - :D Got a reply within 24 hours saying go ahead and sent me a jpeg too! Brilliant!

I'm off to get a price from The Site Company to see how much it will cost..

• 1 month later...

:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

I also took one for a test ride and fell in love with it.Bloody great monster of a bike.I got the stage one kit with mine,and it sounds fantastic.I generally ride a couple hundred miles every sunday.....when i get off i'm deaf,have no feeling in any of my body parts,and my retinas are still bouncing about.......i l bloody love it!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tantalus

I use mine to commute 150+ miles across Scotland, to and from work. It makes my journey so much more of a pleasure - apart from the bloody rain now it's getting to winter. Time to put her to bed I think.. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online