Steering Lock/Ignition M.O.T.

Grouch
This post is 2673 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike is due for it's first M.O.T. but it has no steering lock and the ignition is held on by a cable tie. This is the way I fixed it after my bike was stolen and damaged. Will the bike fail the M.O.T? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No Grouch it's about road worthiness not how it looks, as long as the structure of the bike is ok the ancillaries are not important.

• Like 1

Everything else is fine. I've just sorted all the brakes and replaced the battery. I'm going to buy a new yoke and bolt the ignition in when I can afford it. Also I'm thinking I can just bend the steering lock back into position with a crow bar. Maybe give it some heat if needed. 

Grouch mate can I just say something here? DON'T attack your bike with a crow bar and heat, leave the steering lock how it is for now. A photo might help if you want some advice on how best to tackle it.

• Like 2

I take my bike to a small private garage in a remote village and even have to help the examiner. I.e. sit on the bike and do this, do that etc and never has he asked me to put the steering lock on.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Slice I won't touch it. It's just bugging me knowing that it is knackered. I can sort the ignition but not sure about the steering lock. I will have to completely dismantle the front end to get decent pics. I don't fancy doing that any time soon. I wouldn't mind if it was summer but I don't have a garage and it's constantly raining in Yorkshire.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed it's first MOT. Just two advisories on the front tyre and front brake pads. It's a weight off my shoulders. I thought he'd fail it with the steering lock. 

• Like 1

Well done mate, take care.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online