Chain Lube Mess

Grouch
This post is 2837 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Is there a way to lube your chain without your back wheel etc getting proper blathered in it? My back wheel, swing arm and even the tyre has got the lube all over it and it is a nightmare to get off. I thought about a scotch oiler or whatever they are called but people said they make a mess. I use a spray lube, WD40 Chain Lube at the minute. Not WD40 it is chain lube made by WD40 before any smart arses comment. :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use a really sticky off road one which is clear.

I first clean and wipe the chain down, then bob a bit of white paint or tippex on one plate. this is so i don't overoil and waste the product.

I then spray inside the chain between the rollers and plates (thats two sides).

Its best done after a ride when the chain is warm as it promotes the oil to get inside the links. leave to dry overnight.

I still get the spray but you need to get close to see

• Like 1

Clean the bits that catch the oil with a strong degreaser so its clean as a new pin. Bathroom degreasers seem pretty good from the pound shop.

Then use a silicone polish. The cheap dashboard spray stuff has loads in it. The crud comes off really easily then.

Obviously avoid the tyres and such. 

• Like 1

Scottoilers are great and fitting one with a new chain and sprockets will mean you'll probably never have to buy another chain for the bike .  They do leave a light oilarrow-10x10.png mist around the back wheelarrow-10x10.png which, unlike chainlube , wipes off easily with a cloth . (I usually leave it as the oil stops the steel rim and spokes from rusting ).  Also the time between chain adjustments is vastly increased . I think they cost about 80 bucks now .

I don't have one on my present bike now but use a cheaper and just as effective method . Get one o' those plastic oil bottles with a tube attached or an old fashioned oil can with some engine oil .  Bike on the mainstand , spin the back wheel , squirt a little oil on the inner bottom run of the chain . Hey Presto - fully lubed chain . Takes 10 seconds . ( Don't tell scottoil you heard it from me ).  I never wash my bike , just a wipe of a cloth, and it's pretty clean with no tar like deposits of dried chainlube .

• Like 1

I've got a scott oiler sitting on my work bench that I have no use for Grouch plus 3/4 of a tin of oil if you want it your more than welcome to it mate? It does need some new pipes tho but you can buy them from the site for a few quid. PM me if your interested. Oh and it has one of those new double ring attachments plates with it as well.

buy parts from here http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Spares-Adaptors.html

Mine looks something like this Image result for scottoiler

this is the mount I have with it Image result for scott oiler mounts

• Like 1

That's sound ! When you get it on Grouch , don't bother buying expensive scottoil , use the cheapest engine oil or leftovers after oil changes .  You can also get little plastic holders which allow you to attach the oiler to the bike with cable ties . Sometimes it can be awkward to find a place on the bike to bolt it to .  If your bike has a vacuum operated fuel switch you can take the required vacuum from there to operate the oiler . Oh , and if you ensure that the oil line runs lower than the pump body you'll eliminate the need to suction bleed the line any time you run out of oil (they don't hold much).  If you lose the little plastic delivery tube from the end of the oil line , a piece of the red tube from a WD-40 can will do the job .  Hope that helps .

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online